Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 800 EFI/charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 800 EFI/charging problem

Hey.

I have a charging issue with my ATV. When I start it, it gives out 13V from battery. Riding about hour and then putting Volt meter on and it shows 12.5V.

When the ventilator goes on and i put lights on, it shows 12V and then it starts wane and battery mark starts blinking on speedometer.

I've replaced stator, voltage regulator and i put on another battery from Sportsman 850 2011, which should be working.

Sorry for bad english.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a faulty regulator,especially if it's an after market part along with some aftermarket stators. Even if it's oem parts,you need to check from the stator up. The manual is good on this as it shows several different stator tests,trouble shooting checks.Better than throwing parts at it when you can check components out.2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Service Manual PDF Download Plus not a bad idea to load test batteries. They may show 12+ volts and still may not be able to hold a charge.Plus if batteries are constantly dragged down,doesn't take long for plates to sulfate and short. https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html