Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 335 Speedometer trouble

Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 335 Speedometer trouble

The guy I bought my 2000 335 from said the speedometer was working yesterday when he was riding it. Now it's not.

I took the headlight pod loose and cleaned the speedometer contacts with electrical cleaner, and I connected and disconnected both wire clusters that plug into the back of the speedometer. Still not registering or showing digital readout. There is no light illuminating the speedometer, either.

Again - thanks for any help. I've gotten great responses to my other posts and I truly appreciate it. I'm a little disappointed in this purchase, but I'm going to work it out - especially with your help!

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16

​​​

Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

Plus I've read posts about batteries going out and ruining a speedometer - but he said when he was riding yesterday that it was working.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Speedos can go out at any time and are expensive to replace. Some are showing nla also. If you like tearing things apart here's a couple posts on this. One from a forum member.KA7OEI's blog: Repair of the speedometer on a Polaris Sportsman 500 4-wheeler
AWD and Speedometer don't work - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community Also this was one of the last mechanical speedos that used and cable,gear case adapter and key. Keys were a common item to break as they were simply a short piece of cable that connected the gear case to the adapter and speedo cable. This may be your problem. Item #46.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 335 Speedometer trouble-f3884a4b025a4f27b16e39f4dc7ec120a1718935.png  

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-22-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: cable key
Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Speedos can go out at any time and are expensive to replace. Some are showing nla also. If you like tearing things apart here's a couple posts on this. One from a forum member.KA7OEI's blog: Repair of the speedometer on a Polaris Sportsman 500 4-wheeler
AWD and Speedometer don't work - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community Also this was one of the last mechanical speedos that used and cable,gear case adapter and key. Keys were a common item to break as they were simply a short piece of cable that connected the gear case to the adapter and speedo cable. This may be your problem. Item #46.
I was watching several YouTube videos last night showing how to open the hood shroud and short 4 wires together to a common ground. The post you have showing to ground just the 2 in the speedo plug may be what I do this weekend. That's a LOT easier than anything else for now!

And the transistor fix may be something I try, too - it would be well worth it. I've never unsoldered anything - only soldered - but there's nothing to lose. Thanks VERY much!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ahhh.. I was looking at the AA model that had the mechanical speedo. Other 2000 model 335s had the newer electronic speedo. The older one you could find for about 150 bucks.Newer style is double that. As far as grounding the wires this was mainly to regain awd ground that went through the speedo. Jumping the brown/white to brown or to a good frame ground bypassed the speedo ground and sometimes helped restore awd also. Ground shouldn't have gone through it to begin with for the awd.The one you probably looked at was from the awd connector browns to a common ground. Long thin wires that could loose ground and this was a good fix. Hope you can get the speedo fixed and save some $$ also.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

Ahhh.. I was looking at the AA model that had the mechanical speedo. Other 2000 model 335s had the newer electronic speedo. The older one you could find for about 150 bucks.Newer style is double that. As far as grounding the wires this was mainly to regain awd ground that went through the speedo. Jumping the brown/white to brown or to a good frame ground bypassed the speedo ground and sometimes helped restore awd also. Ground shouldn't have gone through it to begin with for the awd.The one you probably looked at was from the awd connector browns to a common ground. Long thin wires that could loose ground and this was a good fix. Hope you can get the speedo fixed and save some $$ also.
If Radio Shack still has some of these transistors I'm going to sure try it. I'll still probably short the 2 wires to make SURE the AWD works. Thanks for your prompt answers - I get impatient easily and this had me going, but your answers are helping my anxiety level.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Trailblazer

​​​​​​​You don't happen to have a headlight pod for this model, do you?

Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

I see one on BikeBandit.com for $66 or so but I'd just as soon get a used one cheap somewhere. I don't need everything - just the plastic shroud.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Brain dead again.. thinking speedo.. Yes check Partzilla (I think 54 bucks) Cheap Cycle parts and Cycle Parts Warehouse also.Main thing is make sure you order the right color. That's the main difference on series numbers such as AA,AB,etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 335 Speedometer trouble