Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Shaft Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 PM
Just some guy from Texas.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Shaft Interchange

My '94 Sportsman (400 4x4) has a front shaft that finally started to give up the other day... When I got it, it was pulled out of socket and showing its age. I put it back together and repacked it but knew it wouldn't make it much longer. After some more adventurous riding (It's no longer deer season!), a part of the cage cracked. The shaft is still in place for the moment, but obviously needs to be removed/replaced shortly.

From what I can tell, and from what I recall, the shafts on the '94's are threaded differently depending upon the side of the bike they go on. Looking on Bike Bandit, this seems to be the case, as there are LH and RH shafts.

Also from what I can tell, in 1995, both shafts were given normal RH threads and the shafts are the same on either side. Bike Bandit also seems to confirm this and shows that the '94 shafts interchange with the '95 and '96 shafts.

'94 CV Shaft Parts Breakdown

'94 LH Shaft (Note "Fitment" Tab)

'94 RH Shaft (Note "Fitment" Tab)

Confusingly, Bike Bandit also shows a totally different number for the '95 models, and despite showing both LH and RH shafts, lists the same part number for each.

'95 CV Shaft

So - after all that - what I'm wondering is, will the CV shafts that fit a '95 Sportsman also fit a '94? The '95 shafts are easier to find, they're cheaper, and I like the idea of everything having the same threads/shafts on either side.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That was the problem with the old Neapco and BTB cv joints that were used on the early models. Neither could exchange with each other. I ordered drive shafts and recived wrong ones several times. 95 model BTB or Neapco only fit 95 and 96 models. Haven't worked on these for years now and the best thing I can say is to find which brand you have(located on the cv joint itself) and try to track down a replacement.As far as I can remember the cv joint shaft length was the major difference between the two. I found that out real quick when bearings and the hub wouldn't fit right. Another option is to have the cv joint repaired.Possibly these people can help.Great deals from CV Restoration | eBay Stores

Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 AM

I have not been successful in locating any markings on the shaft. Is there another way I can tell them apart?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the drive shafts are oem,either Btb brand or Neapco will we marked on the cv joint behind the seal sleeve.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 AM

Update:

I found a set of aftermarket CVs that fit and I'm working on putting them in now. I'd be done already had I realized that I ordered a seal kit for the hubs only, and not also for the struts...

I did find a mark/stamping on the CV axle, finally. It's partially worn, but I can tell that it says "U S A" - doesn't that mean they are Neapco?

The cage which holds the bearings/***** in place is completely destroyed (the axle halves could spin independently), but everything else seems intact. I will likely hold on to the OEM shaft and see if I can find a cage to rebuild it with. Won't hurt to have a spare set in the garage...

On another note, for the strut seal (on the back side, where the CV enters the strut), the OEM seal appears to be one larger seal, where as the aftermarket appears to use two thinner seals? Is this an acceptable alternative?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Use the oem hub seal..

Attached Thumbnails CV Shaft Interchange-51cd5rn-ztl._sy355_.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:06 PM

Thanks - ordered a pair yesterday.