Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1996 Polaris Sportsman 500 No SPARK

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Polaris Sportsman 500 No SPARK

I have a 96 Polaris Sportsman 500 it's not sparking but it is turning over. I've replaced the stator I've unplugged the black wire from the CDI box. I've tested the ignition coil on a different ATV and it worked so it's not the coil. Im ordering a new CDI box and a voltage regulator I'm wondering if you guys have any other suggestions I could try I don't have a wire tester or anything like that. Just need help I really wanna get this bad boy running again.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Only other thing is to pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module also. Plus it's hit or miss on some of the aftermarket stators,etc as far as reliability.The service manual with resistance tests,trouble shooting guides and checks along with wiring diagrams can still help.Better than just throwing parts at one. https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....service-manual

Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is what happened. I ran the Polaris all day turned it off when I got home with it. Turned it back on and let it run for 5 minutes. Then it shut off and would not fire after that haven't fixed it ever since.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't throw any more parts at it. Down load the manual and get a cheap meter that you need for resistance tests shown in the manual. Even simple things like a shorted 5k ohm plug cap can cause a no spark condition,but you need a meter. The manual has step by step guides on trouble shooting no spark conditions.A lot better than working on something blind.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When there used to be Radio Shack stores around here I bought an auto-ranging digital multimeter that I like way better than the kind my friend got at Harbor Freight. I checked at radioshack.com and it said they're all available in store only. You can't order one online. A cheap one from Harbor Freight should be enough to get by with even if it's not ideal.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks but I'm gonna see if I can find one in stores. I really wanna get this Polaris I'm downloading the manual Now.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I downloaded the ATV UTILITY AND LIGHT SERVICE MANUAL is that it? Where can I find the troubleshooting steps in the manual?

Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Usually chapter 10.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the CDI box and it started firing! Now I'm having problems with the battery the battery is completely dead I tried charging it with a battery charger I rode it for a little. it only seemed to last for like 10 to 20 minutes then it would go dead and I'll have to jump it off. Could you guys help me out? I replaced the stator and the voltage regulator so those shouldn't be a problem. I would like to add that I have absolutely no experience with a multimeter.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get a new battery..If the stator is ok,regulator is charging at least 14 volts back to the battery while running, then the battery won't take the charge because of dead cells.Don't continue jumping a dead battery off with a car or truck or you can burn up that new cdi or regulator. To check battery voltage just place the meter on dc volts,red lead to battery positive,black lead to negative post.If the regulator is still ok,the voltage should be between 14-14.5 volts.You may have to give it a little throttle to reach the highest charging rate.