Sportsman 700

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700

I have a 2004.5 sportsman 700 EFI. I've Been having problem with it since day 1. The battery light flashing constantly. I've changed voltage regulator and stator. The charging system is holding a solid 13.5-14.5. Light went away for about a day after that but then came right back on. Then I went riding the other day and the bike started stalling out and lost a lot of power then slowly come to a halt where it then died on me. It's starts right back up after it dies and sometimes it'll run okay for about 5 min or it won't run good again til another hour. The bike throw a code 45 which mean T-Bap issue. I've changed the sensor on it and still have the code. I'm at a stand still with and don't know what else to do.. any help would be appreciated

Old 02-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually not the sensor but the cheap harness connectors and wiring. Look at the "sticky" post in the Polaris expert section on 700/800 efi problems. Actually applies to all efi models. The sticky posts lead to one member making better repair kits than Polaris had.Hopefully the tbap repair kit can solve the problem. https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700

so do you believe that this is what's causing all my problems?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Had more problems on tbap and tps connectors and harnesses than any sensor. Even the manuals say that 80% of efi problems are wiring related.Plus still throwing code 45 after you replace the sensor is a good indicator that it's more than likely the wiring or connector that causing the code and problems.Plus I'd check the battery itself. If it's charging good as you say,the battery could have a shorted cell,not able to hold the charge and also causing the machine to throw false codes.Have had that happen also. Simple load test on the battery can tell if it needs to be replaced or not.