Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 300 4x4 - Hard to find neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bayou 300 4x4 - Hard to find neutral

I finally got the "new to me" 01 bayou 4x4 running today. It runs and drives but after stopping it is hard to find neutral. It's shifts fine, goes into gear easily as well as reverse. It just takes time to get into neutral. The neutral light does work when it's in neutral. Is there a trick to getting into neutral I am missing. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Had the same problem on a lot of dirt bikes and some atvs. Neutral is what I called a "half shift" you have to go easy going up from first gear or you'll bypass neutral and go into second gear. On some dirt bikes and atvs it's actually easier to go to second,then go down to find neutral.If it works ok when you do find it,neutral light works,then wouldn't think the neutral position on the shift drum cam or the indent shift lever would be damaged,but anything's possible. Just try from second gear and see if it helps.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm used to that on a motorcycle so I tried to be "gentle" As this is a bayou it's 5 up and down is neutral (and below that reverse). From first I should just be able to press down to neutral.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Is reverse ok also? You may have the neutral notch rounded out or some thing wrong in the detent lever.

Attached Thumbnails Bayou 300 4x4 - Hard to find neutral-_57.jpg  
Old 02-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Reverse works fine. No problem shifting into any gears, just a hard time finding neutral

Old 02-26-2017, 02:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Kawasaki KLFs can go from reverse to first without going into neutral, but this is no problem as, if you want neutral, you just poke it back down into neutral. It can't go from 1st into reverse as the lock-out cable stops it going into reverse until you twist the ****.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have to double check but I believe it IS going into neutral but the light isn't coming on. I have to recheck as I was basing my assumption on the light not being on. If that is the case it sounds like I might have to replace the dreaded neutral safety switch.

If it is a mechanical issue would a clutch adjustment help (all other gears work perfectly).

I know I need to confirm if the issue is mechanical or electrical first but wanted advice what to check either way. Thanks

Old 02-27-2017, 03:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If it is a mechanical issue, it is the reverse lock-out cable adjustment, or the lock-out mechanism inside the gearbox.