General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

New Jersey Title/Registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jersey Title/Registration

I want to buy a new quad and I am having some contradictory information depending on what dealer I am speaking with the DMV fees. One dealer told me that they don't need to charge me for DMV fees because in the state of NJ you do not need to register is if it is going to be used on your personal property. The other dealership says that yes you definitely must go to the DMV for paperwork. I am a little confused now but does anyone know for sure if a title or registration is necessary to purchase a new atv in NJ? It is a 125 fee that I would prefer not to pay right now if I don't have to if not needed.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you planning on staying on your own property?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, for the near future and possibly forever this will never leave private property

Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Best guess would be that if you are using it on your property, you won't need a registration.

Might want to call the DMV in NJ to find out.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vehicle registrations are the states way of keeping track of what you own for personal property tax reasons.
Call the DMV to make sure, but ifn your just keeping it on your property, there is no reason that you would need to have it registered with the state...

Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Even if you don't have to register it i would. Then it registers your vin and if it ever gets stolen it gives you a bit of hope that it will be fond at some point and cannot be registered again as it will be marked as stolen