Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex in sandy river

Old 03-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex in sandy river

I accidentally posted below message in general forum because it was the only forum I seen on my phone under the mobile set up. Then I seen the Honda section so posting here. Sorry to have posted in 2 places.

Hello. I have a quick question. Years ago I had a 2006 400ex. It was all stock except for exhaust. I loved it but one thing it sucked at was the sandy bottom river we have. We used to play in it and ride from sand bar to sand bar. I couldn't because as soon as i would let the clutch out it was stuck. I ended up wanting out of debt and sold all my motorized toys. I regret selling that 400ex though.

Fast forward to now. I am wanting another ATV to ride with my Dad and Uncle. I am looking at 4x4 of course but that feeling of how much I loved that 400ex keeps coming into my mind. This brings me to my question. I took my 400ex 90% of the places we used to ride. If I could make a 400ex be able to sand bar hop in the river with sand bottom I would find another one.

Is there a rear rear tire out there that would allow a 400ex to rip through a river with a sand bottom? I'm hoping so and that my stock tires were the cause that prevented me from doing it. If not the 400ex is out of the equation. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

More information would be helpful. When you say you let the clutch out and you were stuck, how deep was the water? Were you spinning the tires and burying it? What kind of quads are you comparing too? 4x4s?

I rode for years on a 2 wheel drive 200cc quad. Creeks were not issue but it had limitations compared to bigger quads of the time. Your problem will most likely boil down to choosing one type of riding or the other. It will be very difficult to go really fast on a quad that can really shred creeks.

But I can't believe that a 400 couldn't fairly well in the sandy creeks unless your tires were just shot. But choosing a tire to handle your creeks will probably come at a little expense of speed. You'll probably need a more aggressive tire with a little more of a paddle tread to help. That means heavier.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Basically as soon as you would let out the clutch the tires would just dig a little hole out and there you would sit. They were stock tires so not the best. But you could not ride it in a river at all with a sand bottom because you couldn't move. Water would be around a foot deep in most places.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

itp makes a mud lite sp for sport quads to give you more traction, here's what it looks like https://www.2wheel.com/itp-mud-lite-...1mlhoC6Ezw_wcB. Will give you some idea of how much they cost. I'm not sure exactly what size you want for your rear tires on your 400ex but there should be a size that works.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Those look like a good tire. I ended up buying a 2005 400ex. Came with a set of Ambush tires on it and they have done good so far. Will run them till the tread is pretty much done then will look into a set of the Mud lites in a 22". Thanks for the info