Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Blaster head light shorting out ?????

Old 11-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster head light shorting out ?????

I think the title says it all, but here is the prob. Just bought a 99 blaster about 4 days ago, headlight has been working fine till last night, it just wouldn't turn on. I determined that it was the bulb, so I bought one today, worked great for about 7 min, then it burt up while I was riding, do you think it could just have been a bad buld or could I have a short? is this a common prob?????

thanks for any advice

Old 11-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Look real close at the filiment, in the bulb. Does it look fried or broken? could vibration have broke it?
If it were a short before the bulb, it would blow a fuse or burn up a wire. If the short was after the bulb...youd never know it.
Were you running with a battery?

Old 11-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not running a batt, do you know if there is any kind of regulator between the stator and the light that might be failing? I guess it is posible that I bought a bad buld, I might get one more before I start tearing into the bike just to check. any idea where the fuses are? I looked at most of my wireing (I didn't cut any electrical tape) that was easily accesible, and only found butt connectors, not any fuses. I'm guessing a manuel would be handy about now. haha.

Old 11-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The battery needs to be in the circuit, it helps to absorb the excess voltage, from the stator. My guess is with a battery in the circuit ....it wont burn out the bulb.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Blasters do not have batteries.

First clean all the connections, make sure you have good power from the stator, then check the voltage regulator, then check the wiring harness. I have had bad wires on mine and it is an 2003.........it happens.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

well today I talked to a service tech at the dealer, and he said it is very hard to test the voltage regulator but that sounded like it was the prob. I found a regulator off of an old blaster that had fire damage so I tried it. When I did the bulb only glowed orange, so I'm back were I started. I looked at the wire's all connections seem to be good, I found a used regulator on ebay for $30 with shipping, and dealer wanted $70. I think I will try the ebay regulator next, I feel like this will do the trick, any thoughts??

2nd question: how do you check the transfer case oil leve?? there is no dip stick, that I can see, and the fill hole has a gear right below it. I'm assume there is a trick that I never hear.

AJ

Old 11-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have a regulator you can have for the cost of shipping, pm me if interested.

There is a sight glass by the rear brake lever to check the oil.......but is normally hard to see. Just be sure to put the correct amount in when you change it (change it often), and you should be good to go.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for all of the response's, if all goes well I will be riding at night once again by thanks giving, yeah!!!!!