Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy?

Ok so I'm getting ready to buy a new quad and I'm not really sure which one to buy. I've been looking at the YFZ450 TRX450R and TRX400ex , I'll be going through mud , riding trails , climbing , and some open roads so which one do you think I should buy?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 450s will require a bit more maintenance. They need valves adjusted and more frequent piston replacements. The upside is you are getting a lot more hp, and much better suspension. The 400ex motor is a lot lower tech and will run for years with basically just routine oil changes and air filter maintenance. It is a pretty mellow power delivery, but is actually well matched to trail riding.

Personally, I like them all. I have a YFZ and wouldn't mind a 400ex to ride when my teenagers are riding as well. If you are buying new, the base yfz 450 is a hell of a lot of machine for the money.

Be sure to budget for some top notch skid plates and possibly tires for mud riding.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a barely used 2013 trx400x and I'm really enjoying it. Yes sometimes I wish I had more power but then I remember that the tamer power delivery allows me to ride longer with less fatigue so I don't worry about it. I also wanted something that would be reliable as possible.