Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

2003 Polaris Predator 500 Racing INFO!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Polaris Predator 500 Racing INFO!

I had my first harescramble on my Predator 500. Anything i can do to help me Predator 500 race better? Also What size of front tires should i have for racing through the woods? Also, Anyone know if I should have a bit taller wheels on front than in the back? I do not like how much my Predator leans forward. So if i could get it to sqaut down a bit more than would be great. Any help/Information would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've only owned 1 Polaris, a 400 Sportsman, but it had larger diameter front wheels than rears and a lot of negative camber in front. I'd guess tire diameter should be the same, if it's a 4wd. I'd guess the best thing would be to match your tires for the type of conditions. Where I ride, ground clearance is most important, lots of big rocks, and If I ride too fast, I'd be wrapped around a tree or a rock, haha. You might even upgrade your shocks. I've heard AC guys swear by the Elkas. Do your shocks have adjustable preloads? If so, you might jack up the fronts and drop the rears.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes they have adjustable front shocks. I just have never adjusted shocks and am super worried about getting my shocks all out of Whack lol. But i really wanna mess with them and get the back end down a bit.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

You won't hurt a thing. If they are like the Arctic Cat ones, you may want to spray some WD-40 or penetrating oil on the adjusters, if they haven't been touched since 2003. If your motor is a 4 stroke, somebody probably offers a race cam and a 5 degree advance timing key. I put a Web Racing cam in my 2001 AC 500 and the 5 degree key, K&N filter, and a Dynojet Stage 1 kit in the carb. If it's a Keihin carb, research "drilling out the slide" will give better throttle response. Also, either gut out your muffler do an aftermarket muffler. I also installed an AEM wideband O2 sensor, really helped tuning the carb. My AC 500 with 30" Mudzillas went from 52 mph to 64 mph gps with those mods. Might go faster, but I'm not going to turn her over 8,500 . Play around with tire pressures, on my bikes, I like 7 psi front and 5 in the rear. Too soft in front makes for bad handling.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How invested do you want to be in this machine for scrambles? The single best thing you can do is go aftermarket suspension. I probably wouldn't go crazy with the motor. Don't gut your muffler, a lot of series will turn you away if you are to loud. I ran my scramble machines with only a slip on exhaust and over 3k in suspension. For tire sizes, run something a little taller than stock is helpful in the mud and ruts and rock gardens. Again, I wouldn't go to crazy. Stay close to stock sizes.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't plan on going crazy with it. I just know right now the *** end sets up way too tall. I wanna bring It down. I know someone put taller wheels on back so I'm gonna go back with stock size on read. But all these other race squads the back end set lower than the front end so I wanna get my predator like that. Right now I just feel like I'm gonna fly over the handlebars. I know need to mess with shocks but idk I haven't ever messed with them. Probably will give it a try next week though. I plan on getting exhaust system.