STOLEN This area is for listing STOLEN ATV's, Motorcycles, Boats, Snowmobiles, Toys, ETC:.

How to keep your ATV from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah have not rid in years and still have both quads,after two carb kits i'll have to noise up the neighborhood,,,,,last time i fired up the Angry Chainsaw(250 2cycle)from sitting oil collected in the exhaust and literally a cloud chased a neighbor and their yapper back into the house,,,i have a cool alarm for atv's id get rid of but the motion detector might go off alot outside in the wind,,,,Happy Ridin!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Hi MECHANIKE. When I saw your name I was thinking wow that guy hasn't been on here since forever. I hope you're doing well. I got my quad locked up tight but the wind keeps blowing the cover off during storms. Oh well, everything can't be perfect.

Time to get busy and build a small outbuilding. I designed my own about 25yrs back and it is still in great shape. You know, the small barn outbuildings, mine was an 8x12' with a 54" wide door. Kits are quite expensive but you can design and build your own for a lot less!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 8'x8' shed that's already full of stuff and no good place to put another building. What I really need would take up half the width of my back yard if I put it there.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 8'x8' shed that's already full of stuff and no good place to put another building. What I really need would take up half the width of my back yard if I put it there.

Well go ahead and cover it up, thieves won't try to steal your grass, just what ever is sitting on your grass!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Moto Psycho

I would have to get rid of a fence to get my quad to the back yard if I did have a building there. That's do-able but it would be a pain in the @$$ since the fence posts are pounded down four feet deep. I've had good luck just locking it up since 2008.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to get rid of a fence to get my quad to the back yard if I did have a building there. That's do-able but it would be a pain in the @$$ since the fence posts are pounded down four feet deep. I've had good luck just locking it up since 2008.

Glad to hear it hasn't been a problem for you but I guess I just worry to much about my machines sitting out in the weather. You could consider a two story building with storage on top and your machine below, that wouldn't take any more space. I know easy for me to say, as I have 5 acres to use. I think back to the days my yard was the size of a postage stamp and can't recall how I managed to store the stuff I had.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Moto Psycho

I had a mouse get into my air box and make a nest last year. That's the only problem I've had with outdoor storage except all the thefts and the seat is cracked from sun damage from all the years I only covered it in the winter. I never had a problem with doing that on any of my other quads because I didn't have any of them long enough to get sun damage. Live and learn.

I understand the lack of storage situation all too well. Not just for my small yard but my house. I have a 2 story 3-bedroom house all to myself and am running out of room to put things.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately for me my ATV is in my locked garage that is protected by a self monitored smart alarm with video that notifies my phone with a high pitched alarm and separate alarm/strobe light in the garage.

Reading a few people's issues with insurance have had some friends do the following with success. One had a damaged machine and the gave him a low offer and he complained, told him take it or leave it. He then told them no he just wanted them to fix the machine. They replied it would be more to fix then replace, he stated that yes but it is also more to replace then they offered. He did this for about a month and the insurance offered a more reasonable price to walk away. Second freind asked for them to replace the stolen bike with the same bike of simular milage instead of accepting the payout and after they could not offered more.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MECHANIKE
yeah have not rid in years and still have both quads,after two carb kits i'll have to noise up the neighborhood,,,,,last time i fired up the Angry Chainsaw(250 2cycle)from sitting oil collected in the exhaust and literally a cloud chased a neighbor and their yapper back into the house,,,i have a cool alarm for atv's id get rid of but the motion detector might go off alot outside in the wind,,,,Happy Ridin!
Had to look up Cary, Illinois. I see you're way up north, I'm down in Southern Illinois here.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: How to keep your ATV from being stolen