Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'90 lt250r will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my brother just bought a '90 suzuki lt250r. it had been sitting for about three months before he got it. thing has compression from H*** and darn near broke my ankle a few times(occasional kickback) before i decided to put on MX boots.we kicked it till we were blue... and nothing.
as for what has been done to it.. i checked and replaced the plug-it was wet, but not fouled.
apparently its had a 2mm overboar done on it and a wisco piston put in, now with only about 3 hrs of ride time on it. and the previous owner claims that is all that gave it the high compression. it seems to have been ported, which he also confirmed, but that was done before he bought it. he was running a 16:1 oil mix for break in, using suzuki brand pre-mix. it is running a 38 mm mikuni, 330 main, haven't checked the pilot yet. he claims to have had it tuned, jetted
properly at sea level(where i'm at), then went riding at 6000ft, and the only change he made was turning the air screw out to 2.5 turns to compensate.other mods to it that i know of are boyesen reeds, FMF gold pipe, answer spark arrester, and a K&N that
needs cleaning real bad.
any suggestions on what to do to get it started would be greatly appeciated. occasionally it will fire, but not run, sometimes violently backfiring.

------------------

Old 09-22-1999, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

hmm you said it fired, so we know its got spark, are you runing the right plug for it? You said the Air filter needs cleaning REAL bad, that could be a major problem, try starting it with the filter off, DONT RUN IT LONG AT ALL!!!! use the K&N filtercharger kit to. Try using some starting fluid just a touch, try clean your carb.. there are a lot of things you can try. Keep me/us posteeed.

Chris Jack
87 lt250r that the paint fuc**d up the paint job on ,... ahhhh its black and crumbly looking the primer was bad... any tips to take the paint off?

Old 09-23-1999, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

I think I know what your problem is. My '87 was doing the same thing. It backfired violently, got spark, and would fire but not run. I pulled the plug and it was wet, but not completely fouled. Which means you're getting too much fuel in the cylinder. Whoever sold it to your brother wasn't quite honest. The carb more than likely needs rejetted because it is running to rich. But before you go buying new main jets, try pulling out the air screw a turn to let some more air in with all that fuel, and see if that helps. All I did was rejet my and it runs great now.
....Freddie

------------------

Old 09-23-1999, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

following the advice of someone on another board, i decided to check if the flywheel key had been sheared, we took off the flywheel cover, and it contained metal shavings (iron/steel-they were magnetic). when i turned the flywheel by hand, the balancer did not turn at all. i looked in through the oil hole on the otherside and tuned it over again- the gears turn but not the other end of the shaft.
the carb is a 38mm flat slide, 330 main, 30 pilot, needle (dont recall size)3rd notch, airscrew out 1.5 turns now. i guess i get to take lots of stuff apart now. poop happens.
and for the price my bro paid for this quad-(1500) its fair. i wonder what else we'll find.....

------------------