Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

CV BOOT CLAMPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

I noticed one of my boot clamps were missing. What do we use to replace this clamp? I was thinking-I have some heavy duty wire tie clamps.I'm talking the 175 pound class black ones. Will these work to replace the cheep one that was on there. My machine uses actual universal joints in this area and not a cv joint. I checked to see if the boot had damage and there is nothing wrong just missing the clamp.The other side has a thin metal clamp. Looks real cheep. I also was thinking about taking some 10 guage copper wire and making a good clamp out of that. Ya know make a nice loop in one end and solder it then pull it threw and bend it over good-nice and tite. Copper wont rust and should last. I have made good protectors for these rear boots so i know nothing will hit that area.
Let me know what ya'll think. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

Best bet is to replace it with an original style clamp unless there is a serious problem with them. There is a special set of pliers to install them with, IMO it's worth spending a few bucks for the right parts and tools

Old 02-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Range Rover
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

The original ones look so cheep. There small and the place that they crimp is real cheezy. I'd like to do something better than that. Was hoping someone else has tried something that works better. I don't have room for a hose clamps head on one side cause of the oil fill plug.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some boot clamps. They arent that expensive. And you can borrow the boot clamp tool from Autozone free of charge (just a $10 deposit). It maks getting those clamps on easier

Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

ok-got one of those just down the street. I'll check.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Range Rover
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

Well there kit had zip ties in it also,with a zip tie tool to tighten it. Well i got that at home so thats what i put on. looks like it will work just fine. I'm going for a run with it today so i'll let ya know how it worked when i get back. Now i'm talking a 120 pound class tie not one of those 50 pound ones you get at home depot or walmart. Also if you use this way to fix them use the tool to tighten it. You will need to buy a tool for this.
you can get this stuff at a electric supply store,or here--- http://www.buycableties.com/index.html[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

Earl, I use heavy duty zip ties. Works just as good and have not had one come off yet with out my help. Also gives me a reason to keep an eye on the boots for tears and cracks as I am always checking to see if the tie is on there. I have replaced a couple of boots on my buddys quad and he buys the kit and it comes with the new bands and I use them in this case and I do not need a tool to put the bands on, when the band bends over sealing it I use a hammer to bend over the **** to hold the band in place. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Range Rover
Default CV BOOT CLAMPS

Well i got out and put 42 miles on the machine today. I kept checking the ties and they never moved. I drove over brush threw deep snow, anything i could find to make sure. I did build my own guards for the machine cause no one offered them for the back.They keep everything away from the boots. Ties work.