Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

why did they stop making the quadzilla

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did they stop making the quadzilla

I dont think they can do that! Like when the emisions control came out for cars, you could still drive around your muscle car. That would rele suck. . . godanm eviormentalists, what can these 2-strokes possibly do! kill a couple of squirrles! omg. its not like their so popular like cars. They just need something new to complain about. I think if they have to do something, they should stop making them, but let us ride ours still. Then oneday our 2-strokes will be worth Big $$$, just like muscle cars! 250r's and 500's will be $$$$$$$$$

~2-stroke rider 4 life~ The cops will have to pry me off my quad.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I love reading posts about people who love 2 strokes and especially the old LT's as much as I do. For those who were guessing the stock HP of a Zilla, I have an enourmous collection of vintage Dirtwheels, 3 & 4 Wheel Action, and even 3 Wheel Action and 3 Wheeler magazines. Tyrus was pretty close with his 53 hp quote. My old mags from 87 and 88 mention the hp just a few times but it's always either 51 or 52 stock.

As far as the best looking quad ever, obviously that depends on everyones opinion but my vote is for any year quadzilla or an 86 Qsport. When the Banshee first came out, I thought it was as ugly as sin compared to the other quads back in the day. I did love the original Warrior though with it's red plastic, gold wheels, and huge Warrior stickers down the rear fenders, and the fact that it was a 350 with electric start. However, as the years went by, I began to hate the look of the Warrior, especially when they started giving it sissy colors, and I began to actually think the Banshee looked ok, probably because none of my favorite quads were produced anymore and at least the Banshee reminded me of the glory days of the late 80's when Suzuki was producing the quadracers and the 230/250 quadsports.

By the way, I own several Zillas and 2 of them are bone stock with original pistons and everything. I'm one of the few people that can say that I've had the privledge of riding one and destroying any and every stock quad I've lined up against whether it was made back then or today. Even though the technology is getting incredible on the newer 4 strokes, I still don't think they'll ever touch a stock zilla's power to weight ratio. And with just a good aftermarket pipe and jetting, hardly anything modified can touch them (except drag Banshees, but there in a different league.) Build an extremely modified and Dizzified ported Zilla and it's creates yet another league.

Anyway, long live the Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, three wheelers, Quadzillas, Quadracer 250's, (and every other 2 stroke ATV ever made), and everything else from the 80's. I'm sure I'll give in and buy a new 4 stroke one of these days, but I'll never forget that it could have it's tail handed to it by a good running Zilla.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

You should see my collection its like an 80's shrine. Got the trans am, 80's quads and dirtbikes tri z 250's and yes yes loads of standup jetski's.

Long live the 80's and all that came from that era!!!!

p.s. I'm not too worried about the government stopping me from riding my 2 stroke.... where i live on LI you can't ride any quad legally anywhere.... EVERYTIME I START MY QUAD UP I run the risk of being chased by rangers who actually ride quads through the woods (DEC) but they won't stop me or take me alive. Long live 2 strokes. (note this is not even a state park just crap land with powerlines everywhere!!!!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yagerzz, LT250RFatty, and LTrider4life I couldnt agree more w/ you guys. Especially Yagerzzz on the bike looks. I only own two two strokes presently an 86 quadracer and a 92. I wouldnt mind having a 500. As well, I never minded the way the rode. I also feel the same about the banshee I hated the look when they first came out but they have grown own me but would never be my favorite, thats just an opinion. Dont forget about the honda 250r fourtrax ( the red rocket I think in 87 was nice looking too). I just dont there are enough valid causes to get rid of them, I just hope we can keep getting parts for the bikes.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, Just wait until the Rangers or Environmentalists ban certain dB levels.... oh wait ...

I know things just keep getting more rediculous.

I would just like to explain to those noise db people the the louder an atv is the safer it is. Where I ride their are plenty of dear and sometimes other riders will pop out of nowhere. So far I have had all of my close calls on my Yamaha Blaster (Stock) due to the fact that it is so quiet. Animals don't run away till the last second.... other riders cannot hear me coming. Everyone knows I'm coming on my quadracer with the fatty or my stock rm125 cause it is just so loud... I know I don't have to worry about dear running in front of me at the last second because i see them start to flea a couple hundred yards ahead... (not 100feet like the blaster). I always notice that guys on 4 strokes seem to pop out of nowhere cause they are so quiet. Even when im on a 2 stroke I can easily hear another 2 stroke coming even when they are far away!! Just something for those rangers and safety people to think about.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Range Rover

i am so jealous of you guys that got to ride the zilla back in the day, my dad always tells me about how much he liked his and i just wish they still made them. It sucks to not have been around in the days of the zilla. I hope i get the chance to ride one sometime in my life. I like fourstrokes but there is just something about a 500 two stroke that gives me cravings to ride, it had to be an awesome machine

Old 07-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

The mechanic who worked on my bike, is building a custom ATV, it will have the 1300cc motor from the Suzuki Hayabusa, he's going to turbocharge it, he expects about 280hp.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

280hp.... that's complete insanity.
My lt250r has about 42hp and I flip that thing on the grab bar if i hookup too much on the dirt in first or second I can't even imagine how fast, powerful and dangerous that hayabusa powered machine must be. I hope he has some good ridin gear!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have heard all the rumors about the demise of the zilla and some of them may be valid. Personally I never bought one because it felt like I was sitting on a coffee table and it was a handfull to ride on trails. If you ever stall a zilla there's a good chance your gonna bruise the bottom of your foot or sprain an ankle trying to restart it (it's a HARD to crank cold or stalled). Not many weekend warriors or non-race/dune riders like quads like this and they make up the majority of the market. It's kinda weird now almost 20 years later you can buy a quad that performs similar or better than a stock zilla, with electric start and much easier to ride,jump,etc. Don't get me wrong, the zillas are powerhouses,even by todays standards.They just dont appeal to a majority of common, everyday riders regardless of how fast they are. Besides, we are living in a four stroke world now whether you like it or not. I am wondering how much longer Yamaha will produce Banshees since they have came out with the YFZ. I'm sure 90% or more sport quad buyers buy a YFZ over a Banshee anyway.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

The Banshee is done by 2006....

Quick Reply: why did they stop making the quadzilla