Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad Belt Problems?

Old 10-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad Belt Problems?

I was seriously considering buying a 2005 King Quad until I reviewed the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.
The manual says to check the belt at 600 miles and replace it at 1200 miles. I now have a 2002 Kawie P650 that I bought new. I have thoroughly enjoyed riding the P650 some 5200 miles over quite a varied terrain. I have also just installed the 3rd belt on it and have been into the CVT several times to adjust belt tension. I installed the EPI black spring when I replaced the 1st belt. All of this is no big deal but it is somewhat of a hassle to have to go through this procedure every several hundred miles. From what I have been able to learn by talking to dealer people they can't tell me what is different between the KQ CVT and the Kawie CVT!! I suspect they are very similiar. The KQ does have a clutch between the engine and the drive pulley in the CVT which keeps the drive pulley from rotating in Neutral. Do any of you have any comments on this subject.

GeeBee

Old 10-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

geebee, I read the same thing in my manual and find it hard to believe that the belt would be done at 1200mi. zuki and kawi systems are different. The zuki drive is constant tension, the kawi is slip and go. Alot less maint. with zuki and yami belt drives

Old 10-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Oh hell if all I had to replace was a 50 dollar belt every 1200 miles I can live with that.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

From what I've read on the forums the Zuki's belt drive is the same as a Yamaha's which seem to have miles and miles of maintenance free operation.I have owned a 98,and a 2003 Grizzly and NEVER had to touch either of them,and they got worked Very hard hauling trees,firewood,snowplowing,and also running 27" tires.I feel confident the Suzuki will be giving the same reliable belt system.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know about the KQ CVT, but the type that don't slip the belt are far better than the ones that do. If it's like the Yamaha system, it will be great. IMO the Yamaha CVT is by far the best out there.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Y'all,

Appreciate the comments. I have about decided that I am going to buy the KQ. Recently rode the BF and the Polaris 700 EFI.
Both those rides were on dealer bikes and on the Piaute Trail out of Richfield Utah during the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree this last September. I did not consider either of them a suitable replacement for my P650. I just wish I had had an oppurtunity to ride the KQ under the same conditions.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have ridden the king quad it is a great machine and the belt systems works well not as good as a grizzly my buddy has 05 grizzzy with 26 inch mud lite and a 05 king quad with 26 inch mudlites and i tell ya what i can whellie the grizzly but not the king quad. i think the grizzly lowend is way better the king quad the king quad will take the grizzly in a drag race but the king quad dosent have as nice lowend as some as the other bigbore machines.just my thoughts but i think its limted by the program in the ecu.a powercommander should fix that littel problem.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: vinson05
i have ridden the king quad it is a great machine and the belt systems works well not as good as a grizzly my buddy has 05 grizzzy with 26 inch mud lite and a 05 king quad with 26 inch mudlites and i tell ya what i can whellie the grizzly but not the king quad. i think the grizzly lowend is way better the king quad the king quad will take the grizzly in a drag race but the king quad dosent have as nice lowend as some as the other bigbore machines.just my thoughts but i think its limted by the program in the ecu.a powercommander should fix that littel problem.
Thats odd I have 26in 589's with a winch and have no problem getting the front end up with my K/Q.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Snowwolfe
Oh hell if all I had to replace was a 50 dollar belt every 1200 miles I can live with that.

The 50 dollar belt is not a problem, but as someone considering a KQ, who has never owned an ATV before, how difficult would you say it is to change a belt? Is is something that any ordinary owner can do, as easy as an oil change, or is it something that is best done by the dealer? I would like to get one in spring, but I am thinking that it might be best for me to wait until a manual trans version is offered. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Don't think you'll see a manual trans version. Belts are easy to replace. Relax.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: King Quad Belt Problems?