Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger shifter.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:45 PM
JSP
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger shifter.....

I bought a used '02 Eiger Auto 4x4 400 a couple of months ago. Occasionally, it seems the shifter has trouble deciding whether it is in Low or High range, and may hang a while and then slam into gear. If I am very careful I can baby the shift lever and avoid this problem, but sometimes I rush things a little and get this horrible grinding noise that I know is not doing my transmission any good. It has only done this 3 or 4 times, but now it is always in the back of my mind and affects my shifting. Anyone else have this problem?

Is there any adjustment that can be made to the shift mechanism? If so, can it be easily adjusted or does one have to go into the transmission?

Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a great question.

I wonder if the previous owner shifted while still in motion. The only time mine was between gears the rev limiter kicked in and I knew it. If yours kicks in and out and the limiter doesn't kick in I'd say you better be careful and at least check with a local shop (but not the one you would trade it too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] and let me know where so I can stay away from it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

I'll check my manual tonight to see if there is an adjustment.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

Eiger2-
Thanks for the reply, and please let me know what the manual says about shifter adjustment. If there is an adjustment, I will see about getting it done; I cannot physically see anything to adjust by looking at the shifter.

The Eiger had been wrecked before I got it, and anything is possible. The previous owner had done a fine job of replacing the plastics and racks and handlebars and I would never have guessed it had been wrecked. Other than this small problem it seems to be in great shape. He said it was his wife's bike - she was hurt badly and retired from riding. It really looks and rides to be in great shape.

How would I know whether or not the rev limiter kicks in? There usually does seem to be a surge just before it slams into whatever gear it decides to get into. But, as it has only happened a few times, I am unable to detect a pattern. I mostly shift very carefully in order to avoid the clash, and am 99% successful. It is also sometimes hard to get into and out of gear; requiring rocking back and forth until it finds it's groove. Otherwise it's a fine bike.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

JSP

I have the same problem with my 2003 Eiger 4x4 Auto. But, I know what caused it. I was being an idiot and did a donut in a gravel pit when the front wheel caught on something and nearly flipped the quad over. I have a feeling it is the front diff. I get the same grinding when I shift from 2wd to 4wd and vice versa. My solution so far has been to keep it in 4wd, and just select high or low (which does not grind). I am hoping to get it to the repair shop before the summer. I'll let you know what the shop says when I get it over there.