Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Originally posted by: BigMc
"Anybody know if a rear caliper from an 85 will fit an 87? "

By the way, have you ever really paid attention to the rear brake caliper on a Yamaha Warrior ( 350 quad)?
There is no dought what parts bin thay pulled that unit from [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Check it out sometime.
Yeah I have noticed. That is where my pariking brake from the LT is going. I never thought about looking for a caliper off a Warrior/Woverine for the LT though. Good thinking. I will have to measure and double check the idea tonight if I have time. I think that is why my carrier busted, is because the caliper was not adjusting side to side like it should?

As far as the cam goes is that what you have in your machine now? I thought you were running more of a race cam.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugly88
Yeah, the cam is one grind under mine. Its a 188, mine is a 213 and the full on race grind is a 214.
But you dont see these everyday enymore. So I thought I would pick it up. You never can tell what might come along.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Good point. I may look into engine mods this winter. I am just riding it right now. I do not want to tear into it much now then not be able to ride.

Has anybody gotten nerfs for a quadracer to fit on the 230's? Does anybody know th edifference in frame/pegs from the 230 to the 250r?

Old 07-15-2006, 04:47 PM
BigMc

Hey! anyone looking for a axle carrier?
theres one on ebay with 5 hours left on it. Its <20.00 right now. 14005966940

Old 07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
BigMc

Todays headlines.
"CHAIN CAME OFF" syndrome, better known as C.C.O.S., has plagued the 230s/e for too long. Its best for all Q.S./E owners to know the truth.
Some, not all, 230 owners are entry level. So you need to know the sines of the onset of c.c.o.s.
There are 3 main factors to watch for:
1. Loose or worn chain. Proper chain maintenance and adjustment is key to a healthy 230.
2: Loose or worn pivot bearings. The stock swingers can go thru these things like a junebug thru a goose. i.e. Wear them out quickly.
3: Loose or worn carrier bearings. Have you noticed a pattern here?!!!!!!

Together we can beat c.c.o.s. good luck and good night.

This has been a public service announcement from your local, not so young, 230 owner.

Thank you, and...............keepemalive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 PM
BigMc

UGLY88
FYI
That cam came in. It is a 188 and was ground in November of 2001. Its not of the best condition, but is useable.
For now it is a paper weight[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 07-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys just wondering how indepth I can get with these performance upgrades on the 230s? I want to rebuild the engine and wanted to know if you guys had any good tips on what is the best setup to make alot of power. Also I want to put 20 inch tires on the back and would like to know a good rear sprocket size for good topend and still have a good takeoff. The stock setup just isn't cuttin it. Is the cobra exhaust pipe any good?? Thanks Guys

Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

BigMc, I think that cam is good to keep around as an extra, or at least an extra core for the furture.Hope you get that plague whipped fast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

For sprocketw with 20's, I run 12front and a 39 rear, however I ride in some very steep areas sometimes with some slow technical spots, if and or when I do my engine I will probably go to a 13 front.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:56 PM
BigMc

fox85
As far as power upgrades, your limited to the top end of the motor. I asked several online shops about possible stroking the 230's crank. What I got back was, more or less, the same answer. NO! There reasoning behind the answer was good though. The zukes rev limiter would be an issue. And I had one shop explain to me that the 230's crank stroke was already longer than the warrior's ( 350 quad). Go figure.

In my humble,and always available, opinion the best way to make the power you crave is with baby steps.
1st. Make it breath better. K&N filter, jet the stock carb, and install a pipe. I prefer the DG RCM or Xcelerator series over the Cobra.
2nd. Consider upgrading the carb to a larger one. Check out DG's websight. They had a performance carb kit at one time. So did vincescycle.
3rd. overbore with a wiseco piston kit. There are 3 or 4 sizes availble. Or big bore. madmanengineering.com comes to mind as one that offers the service. ( I want a big bore kit)!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
4th. Cam it up. web cams still offers 3 grinds for the 230. Be sure to pick up a valve spring kit while you at it.

Im sure I missed something. But im also sure someone else will cath what I missed.
Good luck fox. And as always its good to hear from someone interested in the 230.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BigMC
Thanks for the info!!! I know its not going to be the fastest quad around. I think it does alright for the amount of $ I have in it and being 21 years old. I saw the big bore kit on four stroke tech and am seriously considering that but I JUST bought a brand new carb off ebay for $145 and dont want to have to buy another. Jetting it out will alow for more fuel correct. Im pretty much ingorant to carbs but I'm assuming thats what it does.

Also considering transplanting another engine into it. Still looking for a good doner!!! By the way you said you know somone who knows how to lengthen the swing arm?? If there is any one out there who has upgrade parts for sell let me know!! Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.