Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

UGLY88, The max wattage rateing is total draw off the coil at trail speeds. When your light is most bright. I looked through my book last night and found that the head light is a 45/45 or 45 watt high and 45 watt low beams. The tail light is rated at 5 watts. That would be at 50 watts with at least a small margin for error. I would be confident to say that a coil in good shape is under rated by at least 5 watts.
So to be realistic, the coil is capible of a 50 to 55 watt load at trail speeds. You just have to take in account the rear light when buying headlights.
Oh and in case your wondering, Yes the new lights will dim and brighten with engine rpm as well.....Sorry

Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the research! I will have to ride this weekend with the stock light. I am going to see how the little quad does out at our land with the steep hills. I just ordered new front tires, GBC ground busters for $28 ea., so next week I will be putting them on as well as figureing out the lights.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
BigMc

This thread has not went as far as I hoped. I thought there would be more people out there that would like to share there story.
If you have been reading and not replying, for what ever reason, now is your chance.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Keep the shinney side up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

BigMc, I have a new picture up that shows the LT. It did better in the snow than I thought, even with the sub par rear tires on it. What is everybody running for sprockets with what tires? I have 22's on the rear and it still seems like a granny gear in first! Anybody rebuild or replace there carb? If so, what did you do and where did you get the parts? Also on the rear shock anybody replace or rebuild with a new spring? Looking for info on improving the carb, intake and rear spring. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
BigMc

UGLY88
I HAVE A NEW DESK TOP BACK GROUND.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great pic. Where I live, I can count the number of times I have seen that much snow ( in my 35 years) on one hand.
Engine and intake mods is a subject near and dear to my heart.
After a lot of research, I found a kit from White Brothers ( part # 15-355TT ) $179.00 in May of 2003. The kit included a 28mm carb, throttle cable and twist throttle. It also included an array of jets for final tuning. It was suggested that the kit would work best with after market piston, free flow filter, and cam.
After the K&N filter, Wiseco +2mm @ 10.25/1 comp. pisto and a Web Cams stage 2 cam, the engine came to life. It can lift the front wheels in the first 3 gears. And thats with the +4 swingarm.
And since were on the subject of swingarms......Works suspension has a very good shock available for the 230, either in stock or extended versions. They have a web site for ordering but dont bother, the best thing to do is find a dealer and have them order it for you. Just fill out the form on the Works web site, print it out and take it to your dealer. Be shure to tell them ( on the form ) if your swingarm/A-arms are stock or + over. Takes about two weeks and your set up. My machine runs a full set of Works shocks. There the best investment I have made on the 230.

Great question Ugly ( do you mind if I call you Ugly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Later.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

No I do not mind, there is a long story behind that name. Are you running wider A-arms as well? How does that Carb kit from White Bros compare to the high flow carb from Vince's? Did you have a local machine shop bore your cylender or did you send it out? I think the motor has been worked on before so I would have to tear it downa nd measure the currant bore before ordering a piston. I am not sure i will be in a position to do that before summer so maybe this coming fall/winter. I am interested in a better carb set up though and if it comes with a new throttle and jets that is not a bad deal I will have to look into it. Do yo have any specs on the stock spring or even the Work's spring? My wife works for a spring manufacturer that makes some springs for Polaris, AC, along with some after market companies so I would like cross reference if I could it might be a simple solution for me?

Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
BigMc

No I do not mind, there is a long story behind that name. Are you running wider A-arms as well? How does that Carb kit from White Bros compare to the high flow carb from Vince's? Did you have a local machine shop bore your cylender or did you send it out? I think the motor has been worked on before so I would have to tear it downa nd measure the currant bore before ordering a piston. I am not sure i will be in a position to do that before summer so maybe this coming fall/winter. I am interested in a better carb set up though and if it comes with a new throttle and jets that is not a bad deal I will have to look into it. Do yo have any specs on the stock spring or even the Work's spring? My wife works for a spring manufacturer that makes some springs for Polaris, AC, along with some after market companies so I would like cross reference if I could it might be a simple solution for me?

Ugly88
A-arms. No I dont run wider A-arms. I use Dura Blue 1.5" wheel spacers. The front wheel bolt pattern is the same as the quadsracer. The front wheels are from ITP and are offset 1 inch wider than stock. Together they give me a total of +5" in the front. When I ordered my shocks I included this in the order so it could be considered when calculating spring rates and dampening. It does come a price though. It FULLY exposes the front calipers to the cruel truth of trail riding, i.e. rocks and sticks and trees and..........well you see what I mean.
The rear wheels are Douglas black lable and are offset 3". For + 6 in the rear.
As far as specs go on the shock springs, man dont get to lying, I just supplied the cash and specs and they supplied the product.
On the bore issue, If it were me, I would buy a good used cylinder off ebay and have it bored to your new piston. When it comes time for rebuild, a top end gasket set and an long afternoon and your done.
Of course, you need to consider the fact that you may find something else in there also.
I have a spare cylinder for mine and am considering sending it to madmanengineering to get a big bore kit.
My carb kit came with a new throttle cable for the stock thumber and 2 or 3 sets of jets for calibration. It also included very detailed instructions on the install. The twist throttle version included all the above and a new twister as well.
Vince's free flow carb is a larger ( 27 or 28mm ) round slide. The reason I went with the WB kit is that it is a 28mm flat slide carb. The flat slides have a better rep. for flowing more air due to their square plenium design.
If the WB kit is still availible, in my opinion, its the way to go. But you can still buy the carb and add the throttle of your chose. FYI, if I remember correctly, it seems like jlatvproducts has a clearence on ther 28mm carbs. It may be worth checking out. I think I seen it on the Warehouse Clearence short cut on their home page. And of course there is the DG kit as well. It is a round slide as well.
Did you get that PM i sent you?

My keyboard tired.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I just got the message and replied to you. I will look at the WB sebsite when i tiem tomorrow and check out the DG site. I like the idea of getting a used Cylender to have done before tear down. You must have baeen at this a while? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Have you compared MadMann to FST? Is one better than the other?

Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BigMC,

I have a rebuild story for ya but with a 15 month old and a newborn, I ain't got much time for the internet. Maybe this weekend.

I didn't do that much to it and I still have alot of fun on the 230 Quadsport.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 PM
BigMc

230sman
Great to hear from you. Cant wait to read the 230scapade. Hey , include pics if you have em.
Oh and not to sound uncouth, but with a 15 mth old and a new born, sounds like you need to be spending MORE time on the internet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] jk

Later.
BigMc

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.