I purchased a used 2003 Eiger 4x4 Auto this past weekend. Ive only driven about 2 miles on it so far. It did not come with an owners manual, so I have alot of questions. It looks to be in good shape, and seems to run OK. It has 1007 miles on it currently. It came with a Warn winch and a Warn plow, and hand warmers.
1. The fuel switch has 3 positions. ON, PRIMARY, RESERVE. Whats the difference between ON and PRIMARY? Where should it be when running? Where should it be while parked?
2. It seems to need a long time to warm up before driving... 5 minutes or so with choke all the way on. It sometimes dies when first getting going, and its kinda sketchy when its cold.. Is this normal? Once its hot, it runs fine...
3. What type of oil is recommended for this machine? How much oil does it hold? What oil filter do you recommend? I'm in Alaska, and this will be used year-round from -50F to 80+F. It will be stored indoors during the winter months, but it will still be outside plowing snow at -30..
4. What kind of fluids does the rear-end/front end, or transmission use? Its an auto trans, does it share oil with the engine?
5. Spark plug. How often, and what kind does it use?
Thats all I can think of for now.. but Im sure Ill have more next time I hop on it..
Any help is appreciated!!
1; It's PRIME,put it on after you run the carb dry of gas for what ever reason.Turn on prime to get some gas to the carb, start bike then switch lever to ON.
2; long warm up has always been problem for mine as well, after that, she's fine.
3; I use 10w50 oil but you may need to go with something a little thinner. It takes almost 4 litres with oil filter replacement.
4;I use 80w on the diffs, and make sure you check them RIGHT AWAY.Too many people ignore them and run the bike with milky oil.Again you may need to change viscocity because of the colder temps.
5; Change the plug when it goes,it may never. And replace it with the one you take out.They are best suited to the bike.
The bike takes 3.5 qts of oil. I run Valvoline ATV 10w40 There are several filters you can put in it. I use a WIX 51359 you can use a Napa Gold 1359. As far as the differentials I will look in the manual to see what it says.. Good luck with your Eiger I love mine
After I richened the jetting on my Eiger the warm up doesn't seem to take as long. Not to mention they are jetted lean to begin with so it may be something you want to consider. The clutch does share the same engine oil so you have to be careful not to use an oil with fricton modifiers. I would recommend 0w40 synthetic for the engine due to your low temps. I use Rotella 5w40 syn. Dino 75w90 for the diffs is fine. The spark plug is an NGK CR7E. Buy a spare and keep it under the seat just in case you foul it while out riding. FYI, you may want to search for posts by aksafari. He was an Eiger owner in Alaska that shared some good info on his Eiger.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company