Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convert shaft to chain

why would you ever want to change from shaft to chain
shaft is awsomw

Old 12-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Dont know if a the quad you are talking about will work like this.
Many years ago I took a GS850 Suzuki motor and put on a go-cart.
So I needed to convert a shaft to a chain. It was really easy.
Suzuki used the same countershaft on their shaft and chain models.
The cases was all that was different. I took the gears out where the driveshaft bolts to and the gears on the end of the countershaft. Then took a dremel and cut the cases off and bought a sprocket for a GS750 and then I had a chain drive engine. Take a good look, your problem might have the same solution.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I was thinking- like the engine in the Lakota and the Prairie 300. They're the same engine but one is shaft and one is chain. Priate the parts from one bike to the other...............

Old 12-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by GALAXY225
hi i am writing cause cause the suzuki motor i pick is shaft and i want to convert it to chain....i took shaft part off now what to to do?
changing it to chain drive is fairly easy. take the cover off Around the shaft Output on the Engine. If the output shaft comes out of the side of the engine find a sprocket to fit it. You may have to mive the engine left or right to line it up with the swingarm. All shaft drive engines use the same case as a chain drive then a 90° gear box is attached. I've done this conversion several times over the years.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Phillip Motahead Henderson
changing it to chain drive is fairly easy. take the cover off Around the shaft Output on the Engine. If the output shaft comes out of the side of the engine find a sprocket to fit it. You may have to mive the engine left or right to line it up with the swingarm. All shaft drive engines use the same case as a chain drive then a 90° gear box is attached. I've done this conversion several times over the years.
conversion from shaft to chain. On a Yamaha "style" ATV? Akuma 250cc has Yamaha 50 rear drive and axel set up. Identical swing arm. I found countershaft sprocket rear sprocket and hub. I need a swing arm match up along with bearings and stuff. What Yamaha maybe compatible with the raptor 50 axel? Or should I go banshee?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Did u get the ATV fixed?

Originally Posted by kwackermann
That's what I was thinking- like the engine in the Lakota and the Prairie 300. They're the same engine but one is shaft and one is chain. Priate the parts from one bike to the other...............
tell me about it

Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Phillip Motahead Henderson
conversion of shaft to chain. Could your help me with a Yamaha 50 rear axel conversion to chain? I was using a banshee rear sprocket for the teeth count. But I need a fitting swing arm bearings and hub. Could you know of any other quads they may have fitting parts?

Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Kids quad makers use chain drive because it is cheap. Yamaha use shaft drive because it is better. If you want chain drive, trade the Yam in for a cheap nasty Chinese bike.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Kids quad makers use chain drive because it is cheap. Yamaha use shaft drive because it is better. If you want chain drive, trade the Yam in for a cheap nasty Chinese bike.
yea it is a cheap Chinese ATV. Akuma 250cc

Old 06-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Don't be the problem, be the solution..

Originally Posted by LT80
Dude, you cannot change a shaft drive motor into a chain type.
Find a different motor to put in your frame. Then you will need a swingarm. Then you will pray all fits. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I live by the saying "can't lives on won't street" right next to "that's impossible and watch me!"
Telling someone that something isn't possible, when in fact ANYTHING is possible breeds no hope, in turn creates a situation where one will not challenge themselves.
I'm not familiar with your experience in fabrication, but mine is extensive, encompassing multiple industries over 40 years...if given the resources, technical data, and ability to work thru any and all obstacles, THEN Anything is possible.
. My peers like to say that I break steel and bend concrete...off course, would seem impossible to most until you have witnessed it. But before it can happen, you gotta Invision it, and work the problem.