Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

This is getting expensive

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is getting expensive

Ok, I'm sure you guys have all seen this or atleast have heard of it. So, here's my question.

How do you stop it or prevent it? I'm assuming get a new chain but it seems tight already. I don't understand how its coming off all the time.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I'm guessing that you problem is the chain popping off? If that is the case than yeah, time for a new one. When they get stretched to a point even if you take slack out they won't line up correctly on the teeth causing them to jump easily.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, it keeps popping off. Usually only when I start going over uneven terrain. I thought it was maybe the swing arm or something but I guess I'll get a new chain and go from there.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Yeah think of it like this. Get a rubber band. With a marker put dots on it. When you stretch the rubber band the dots will separate further apart. Same happens with your chain. It stretches and won't line up correctly on your sprockets. It will cause premature wear on your sprockets also.

If your getting a chain don't cheap out. The cheap chains will stretch and wear out very quickly (I'm talking less than a year) and you'll be in the same boat.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Not sure how old the quad is you're talking about, but take a good look at the sprockets too.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always replace the chain and sprockets as a set. The front sprocket will usually have evident wear if the chain is at the end of it's life. It would be a good time to check your axle and swingarm bearings for wear. It is also possible you have a loose or broken chain guide or motor mount.

Also I don't see a case saver on there. I have always run one, the first time it takes the impact and saves your case just bought a lifetime supply in my eyes.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Hmmmm. I'm guessing there must be a picture in the first post. Work computer blocks a lot of images, so I see nothing.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

I would agree with Scooter86, and go a bit further...if your swingarm bearings or axle bearings are bad, you will also experience chain problems, as your drivetrain will be moving around with every bump.

In short, make sure your bearings are good, replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time as a set, (spend the money and get a good O-ring chain) and for god's sake get a case saver

Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

o-ring chain? sorry but never again I buy a quailty chain but never again a o-ring but guess that depends where you ride. we ride alot in the sand and we dont go mud bogging

Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2strokezilla
o-ring chain? sorry but never again I buy a quailty chain but never again a o-ring but guess that depends where you ride. we ride alot in the sand and we dont go mud bogging

Water and mud will destroy a non-ringed chain in no time. i can see your point in the sand, but for general trail use an o-ring/x-ring whatever is a better investment. For the conditions I ride your chain would only last a few outings before it started to kink and bind from internal rusting.

Quick Reply: This is getting expensive