Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

07 LTZ 400 Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 LTZ 400 Shifting Problems

I am looking to purchase a used ATV and get back into. Looking at Primairly 400EX's 05 and newer and LTZ400's 03 and newer.

Have found a great 07, low hours, guy has no clue what he has and very seldom even rode, desperate for money so well under priced.

Trouble is upon test drive could not get into neutral. Would go right by and presumably into 2nd or 3rd. Even at a stop. Clutch lever definitely has never been adjusted and has probably an inch free play. When starting in first gear, must apply brake slightly as bike does power forward. Not much but you can feel it move.

Upon shutting bike off, neutral can be gotten to easy as pie.

Does anyone have any ideas or experienced similar problems? I have a feeling this guy had no clue how to ride or maintain this bike and may have worn out clutch in less than the 30hrs or so probably on it.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the chain too tight? If there is tension on the chain sometimes neutral can be hard to find. Try shifting into neutral while the machine is rolling forward..... just pull in the clutch while rolling and see if you can find neutral then.

That is really the only thing I can think of..... not sure why that would happen

Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

On my 06 it's a challenge sometimes. Not sure what the deal is, but it shifts fine and has no other issues.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the chain and it appears fine actually a little loose.

I did try finding netral while moving forward and could not get neutral then either. It's not like I even miss it, the light never comes on or anything. It feels like you go right from 1st to 2nd, with no gap for neutral. If you are standing still with the motor on, the shift lever won't physically move up until the bike is under power and moving forward.

At one point in time I reached down with my hands as I thought maybe my foot was just too weak, but that shift lever would not budge until I let out the clutch and rolled forward.

Once moving it does shift fine thru all gears and seems to fly, just the only way to get into neutral is to shut off the motor and then it shifts into neutral normally.

So to get into reverse, machine had to be shut off, I found neutral, then twisted **** and reverse worked fine as well.

Maybe a snycho is bad or s shift fork. I have never had to crack the case for any of my ATV's so am lost and seriously confused.

Scootergptx is that what you experience also?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Sometimes it does feel like it's stuck in gear. But the rolling trick has always worked if it does. Now I do seem to find it a lot easier when I'm just tinkering on it and wearing tennis shoes. When I get out on the trails, it can be a challenge with my riding boots on. That could be part of my problem too.

Haven't had a good chance to ride in a while, but I do have an extended warranty. One of these days I guess I'll have them look at it.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is strange...... no doubt sometimes finding N can be tricky but usually after some tricks it snaps in......

But why would you shift into Neutral to get into Reverse?

You do know you can shift into Reverse from 1st gear right? You don't have to be in Neutral to get into Reverse......you shift down to 1st, turn and hold the ****, then shift down past 1st into Reverse...... they you just shift up to first - no need to use the **** to get out......

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

No actually I really didn't know how the reverse worked, since I just started looking at this model, I was just following the instructions told to me by the owner. Thanks I am going to test ride again and will try that.

I called the local Suzuki dealer and explained the situation and the service guy said right away to check the clutch lever adjustment and said this is pretty common with these. especially with people that don't know how to do the baisc maintenance items. So if the owner is willing I am going to do that as well. I know that was loose but wan't sure what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

What was the problem with finding neutral? I am having the same problem with an 08.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs clutch rebuild.the clutch needs new plates n friction disc.sounds like it is burnt.