Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Vinson 500 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Vinson 500 question

I recently bought a used Ozark 250 and an 07 Vinson 500. The Ozark has been running great (in the yard, down dirt roads, etc) but the Vinson is now not starting. I am definitely not a mechanic but can follow instructions but unfortunately I did not get an owners manual. The electricals are working, it just is not turning over. Any ideas?

Also, does Suzuki have manuals for their bikes on the their website? I looked but could find nothing. I was trying to find the oil capacity and recommended type of oil so that I could change it.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

best investment in any atv is a service manual, without one its gona be hard. first id check fuses, see if any are coroded or broken.

some suzuki guys will probly chime in with more help 4u

most atvs take a 10-w40 oil for motorcycles or wet clutches. JAS MO rated on the bottel

Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

well if its not rolling over at all then first thing that comes to mind is that the battery is dead... does it have pull starter? if so try that, im 03 will start after 2 or 3 pulls and that has 2100 miles on it... or you can jump start it off your car... i dont recommand doing that for to long or to many times... your battery in your car is alot bigger then your atv... if it still doesnt start then you will have to get your hands dirty... first by removing the seat and checking the fuses... you want to remove them and check to make sure the filiment in the middle isnt burnt out... as for manuals i cant tell you any thing because i dont know... i got mine from a guy that i work with... my book is for 02 vinson

(these are #'s for a 2002 automatic vinson)
they should close to what you need

as for oil engine oil my book says
"SUSUKI recommends the use of SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL or oils that meet API service classifications SF or SG and that have a viscosity rating of SAE 10W/40"... and then some blah blah blah
Oil change 2.5L (2.6 US quarts)
Oil change with filter 2.6L (2.9 US quarts)
Engine over haul 3.2L (3.4 US quarts)

i have manual shift and my oil change was over 3 quarts bc its also the tranny oil too...

as for differential gear oils
it says to use SAE#90 with a rating of GL-5 or to use SAE#80 with the same rating of GL-5 if you are riding in temps below freezing... SAE 80W-90 or better will work as long as its that GL-5... it will say that right on the bottle of oil when you buy it...
Front Differential (gear box) 300ml (10.1 US ozs)
(drain and then refill until it comes out the fill hole)
(the fill cap on mine used a 10mm alen wrench to remove and the drain plug is on the bottom and you will have to remove the skid plate to get to it... i dont remember the size of the socket though)
Rear Differential (gear box) 300ml (10.1 US ozs)
(drain and then under the fill hole there is a plug that you take out and you fill it up until it comes out that plug hole)
(the fill and drain plug used a 8mm alen wrench and i cant remember the size of the bolt head on the fill plug ( oil level check bolt, thats what the book calls it))
Engine Coolant 2000ml (2.1 US quarts)
coolant mixture of 50:50 or 40:60
(only use coolant designed for aluminum radiatorsmixed with distilled water)

well i hope this is of some use to you... when you have a better idea of the not starting issue let me know and we can start going though it step by step...
well good luck buddy

Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

I was able to get it started by "hand choking" it. Basically, just move the air filter to the side and "pat" the whole as you try to start it and it will crank. This works but is a pain in the ****. Any idea what I could do to fix this?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Found my Vinson answers...

Cool. All set. Found my answers here via Google. Just going to fill it up and see how bad it leaks. If not too bad, we'll ride it.

Originally Posted by bigboss6920
well if its not rolling over at all then first thing that comes to mind is that the battery is dead... does it have pull starter? if so try that, im 03 will start after 2 or 3 pulls and that has 2100 miles on it... or you can jump start it off your car... i dont recommand doing that for to long or to many times... your battery in your car is alot bigger then your atv... if it still doesnt start then you will have to get your hands dirty... first by removing the seat and checking the fuses... you want to remove them and check to make sure the filiment in the middle isnt burnt out... as for manuals i cant tell you any thing because i dont know... i got mine from a guy that i work with... my book is for 02 vinson

(these are #'s for a 2002 automatic vinson)
they should close to what you need

as for oil engine oil my book says
"SUSUKI recommends the use of SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL or oils that meet API service classifications SF or SG and that have a viscosity rating of SAE 10W/40"... and then some blah blah blah
Oil change 2.5L (2.6 US quarts)
Oil change with filter 2.6L (2.9 US quarts)
Engine over haul 3.2L (3.4 US quarts)

i have manual shift and my oil change was over 3 quarts bc its also the tranny oil too...

as for differential gear oils
it says to use SAE#90 with a rating of GL-5 or to use SAE#80 with the same rating of GL-5 if you are riding in temps below freezing... SAE 80W-90 or better will work as long as its that GL-5... it will say that right on the bottle of oil when you buy it...
Front Differential (gear box) 300ml (10.1 US ozs)
(drain and then refill until it comes out the fill hole)
(the fill cap on mine used a 10mm alen wrench to remove and the drain plug is on the bottom and you will have to remove the skid plate to get to it... i dont remember the size of the socket though)
Rear Differential (gear box) 300ml (10.1 US ozs)
(drain and then under the fill hole there is a plug that you take out and you fill it up until it comes out that plug hole)
(the fill and drain plug used a 8mm alen wrench and i cant remember the size of the bolt head on the fill plug ( oil level check bolt, thats what the book calls it))
Engine Coolant 2000ml (2.1 US quarts)
coolant mixture of 50:50 or 40:60
(only use coolant designed for aluminum radiatorsmixed with distilled water)

well i hope this is of some use to you... when you have a better idea of the not starting issue let me know and we can start going though it step by step...
well good luck buddy

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by louisiana.brandon
I recently bought a used Ozark 250 and an 07 Vinson 500. The Ozark has been running great (in the yard, down dirt roads, etc) but the Vinson is now not starting. I am definitely not a mechanic but can follow instructions but unfortunately I did not get an owners manual. The electricals are working, it just is not turning over. Any ideas?

Also, does Suzuki have manuals for their bikes on the their website? I looked but could find nothing. I was trying to find the oil capacity and recommended type of oil so that I could change it.

Front and rear differential oil is a haploid gear oil sae 90. I used 80w-90 in my 05 Vinson for engine oil I used 10w-40