Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1987 Suzuki LT 250 Quadrunner 4x4

Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Suzuki LT 250 Quadrunner 4x4

Ive been having some major problems with my 250 and i hope someone out is able to help me. Quite a while ago someone put a bunch of sugar in the gas tank and it took me a few months to figure it out. At first the thorottle kept sticking and after so many times of cleaning the carb i finally followed the problem to the tank. i completely cleaned out the whole fuel system so that is no longer the problem. now it runs fine for about a half hour before it starts cutting out and back firing, then it blows a bunch of oil out of the engine breather hose. could this possibly be that it has a little too much oil in it or what. its happened about three times now and ive had it to a deal a few times which was hopeless. could the sugar of plugged something else in the engine? any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

OUCH, sugar in the gas tank? id be takeing somebody to the ground over that one. to quote some of the infinant wisdome iv heard in life, anything that you put into the engine will end up in the oil. and if it gets in the oil its EVERYWHERE... sugar grains in gas, or liquid, are smaler than sand; and i know sand can get everywhere in your engine and ruin it. chances are it is messing something up in your engine, causeing friction, scareing, and clogging.

the best thing you could maybe do is change the oil, filter, and my recomendation from the olden days, open up the head, or highest point on the engine. pull the drain plug and poor mabe 2 cups of Karoceen threw the oil galleys on the head and let it drain threw the engine. collect it and make sure you get 2 cups back out. let the engine "dry" in open air for mabe an hour. this trick is good for getting alot of sand out of of an engine.

as for your cutting out problem, sounds like the coil is heating up and cutting out, or could be a burnt exhaust valve. my AC400 has a burnt exhaust valve, it will warm up and in about 20 mins it will backfire, die, and puke a bit of oil into the air box.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

thats the problem i have no idea who it could of been or how it got there. its been in the garage the whole time. if i knew who it was i would beat their a$$. that is very possible that it could be clogging everything up. for the last month or so ive been working with the mechanic at duncan racing and he says he cant see it screwing anything up other than the fuel system. the first time we brought it to a dealer they serviced it too and when i got it back i noticed that the oil was at least a quart over full, which im thinking when it got warmed up the oil expanded and had to go somewhere. i haven't messed with the quad for about a year since i joined the military and now my dad is trying to get it running again but its got him puzzled too. thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it

Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

its no problem. that just is the s#$@ when peole have to mess with your stuff. good luck, and thank you for serving our country!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

When i bought my 90 suzuki 250 2wd the oil was over filled. after riding it a little the 4 wheeler would just die. I could get it restarted and it would run for a while and die again. after riding it like that for a while i finaly pulled the air filter and found it soaked with oil. I figured out that the oil was over filled when i opened the fill cap and it was level full with it! Drained and put in the right amount and have not had a problem since! I would definatly think about flushing the inside of the engine out as cherokee said. And definatly a filter. good luck

Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sugar in the gas tank on any vehicle is bad news i had a freind i worked with who catch his wife with another man when he dropped in on his lunch break , he kicked them both out of his home ; about 2 weeks later he was going to work early in the morning when he noticed his gas cap was missing from his ford pickup on closer inspection he found that sugar had been poured in the tank .

He save his pickup from being ruined by walking to work that morning , needless to say if he hadn't found it and just jumped in and drove to work that morning he would've had to replace an engine ; sugar in the fuel system even though it will disolve will do more damage than sand !.......