Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rebuilt of 1986 LTF230G

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt of 1986 LTF230G

Hi everyone,

As you may have read, I bought a 1986 LTF230G a couple of weeks ago. It's a good complete quad, but it's not running. It's in pretty good shape for its age and my goal is to restore it and use it for hunting, camping and recreation. I thought I'd start a thread to post my progress and ask for help. I'll be posting pics soon. I've never owned a motorcycle or atv before, but I've tinkered with cars alot. So, while I'm not afraid to get started, I might have questions that I hope y'all can answer.

Funny story, so last night I'm taking the racks and fenders off to get to the actual bike. I was shocked at how dirty it was under those fenders, especially compared to how clean it was above. Anyway, I hand the fenders from the garage ceiling to get them out of the way when my wife comes down. She looked right at the bike and exclaimed, "You skinned it!"

I figure I should get it running first so, the first things I plan to do are:

1. Wash it really good so I can see what's what.
2. Change the oil and oil filter.
3. Install a battery.
4. Install an air filter
5. Drain the old gas and put in fresh gas
6. See if it will crank! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Their isn't an air filter in there and the box was full of trash. I hope that hasn't ruined the engine.

First question is about the recoil. The rope is out of it. I still have the handle and a little bit of the rope. Can I take that off and simply put on a new rope? What's involved with that?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

Well I finally got a chance to work on my 230 last night. I took the air box off so I could see the mudball that hides the carb. I little water and brake parts cleaner and I was able to identify the carb.

I took the top off and carefully pulled the spring, pin and black thing out and sprayed lots of carb cleaner in there. Reassembled. I took out the idle screw and sprayed carb cleaner in there and cleaned the screw assembly, same thing with the air/fuel screw. Looked shiny new in there.

Changed the spark plug.

Full choke

Hooked up jumper cables to the Jeep, negative to the foot peg, positive to the starter and she cranked up. With a little turning of the screws I finally got her to idle with full choke, but when you give her gas it dies.

I feel like I'm close, but does anyone have advice on how to adjust the carb now so it will idle with the choke off and allow me to give it gas?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

try leaning out the needle a little bit and you will probably want to take the whole carb apart and get to the jets and make sure you clear them out, also if you have access to an air compressor blow some air through all the holes to make sure you get the really stuck stuff out. It sounds like you are pretty close, just take your time and probably be prepared to take the carb apart a couple more times to do a cleaning. That's what I had to do with mine because it sat for 4 years and there was all kinds of gross stuff stuck in it. Once you get it running good it might not solve the idle problem but you will be able to give it gas and ride it. The fuel pump sometimes likes to make the quad not idle, because mine wont idle until I take the line off the intake boot, so there is something in the fuel pump causing it.

Just some more info so you don't get discouraged after you do all the carb work.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I do have a compressor and I was trying to avoid talking the carb off and apart. I guess that's my next step. Thanks.

BTW, does it have a fuel filter anywhere? Perhaps that's clogged, letting enough gas in to idle but not enough when I push the throttle.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure about the filter but I don't think so, It could very well be the fuel lines being clogged though try taking them off and blowing some air through them. Also the floats in your carb could be set really low and are only letting enough gas in to idle.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. I finally got it running, but it still needs fine tuning. I blew air back through the fuel line into the tank, installed a new Wal-Mart battery, filled the tank with premium fuel to dilute any old gas, changed the plug and oil. I cleanout out the airbox and installed an OEM air filter. I think the thing that made all the difference is that I took the carb apart, cleaned it with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, then blew out all the places. I threw the seat on it and drove it around.

I did learn that my brakes are GONE. No brakes at all. I guess that's my next project. I do want to get some cosmetic stuff done too. The most pressing item now is that my handle bars are bent on one side.

Should I just bend it back or replace it? The cost for a new OEM bar is $40. I see a used one on ePrey for $30 shipped. Are all 230 handle bars the same? Should I go with an aftermarket one?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I picked up a similar project for 200 bucks, mines an 85 i think, no electric start, i threw a pair of bars off of a 87 banshee on mine and they seem to sit and look alot better than the stock ones, its got a dg rcm pipe on it and it actually sounds pretty mean for what it is, i replaced a stator, changed the plug, oil, filter, cleaned the main and pilot jets, kicked it over a few times, it fired right up and seems to run halfway decent

Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Had it going pretty well. Drove it into garage, parked it and let it sit. Came back a few days later and it won't go into Neutral. What should I check? I've rocked it back and forth, gone down through the gears and back up to 2nd (I think) but it won't go to 1st or N.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by banshee600
I picked up a similar project for 200 bucks, mines an 85 i think, no electric start, i threw a pair of bars off of a 87 banshee on mine and they seem to sit and look alot better than the stock ones, its got a dg rcm pipe on it and it actually sounds pretty mean for what it is, i replaced a stator, changed the plug, oil, filter, cleaned the main and pilot jets, kicked it over a few times, it fired right up and seems to run halfway decent
87 banshee eh? Thanks. For now I just bent it back up, but it needs replacing. ONCE I GET IT RUNNIGN AGAIN!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

I gave my '85 LT230G to my brother-in-law.
I loved that ATV.
Until I got my '07 Eiger.
There is an interlock underneath the quad that can get hit with branches and cause it to cease running. I think it's a reverse interlock, it's under a round metal disc, if I remember correctly.

The previous owner had a lot of problems with mine but I never did.

I always had problems with the front brake not functioning, even after bleeding.
I never did rebuild them but that's probably what they needed.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt of 1986 LTF230G