Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

87 LT230 Quadrunner

Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 LT230 Quadrunner

Hello everyone. I purchased a 1987 LT230E Quadrunner and I have some questions. I have to hold the shift lever down when the bikes in neutral to start it. The neutral lite will not come on unless I hold the shifter down either. Any ideas? I'm pretty new to 4wheelin and bought the 230 as a starter bike. It is in good shape but has a couple issues. I ordered the repair manual and it should be here soon. The quad wont start right away either. It takes a bit before the electric start gets her goin then it either idles rough or not at all. I get white smoke here and there also. That sums up my problems at the moment,any tips appreciated! Any back rims from another quad work on mine? Thank You!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

i have the quad sport and the only thing that i can say is the white smoke is the rings that are burned or melted and that happens often...look at the carb and see if it has a lever on it if it does then ur idling pin might be to tight and could cause the over reving. thats all i can help with

Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

hey, welcome to the forum!

as far as the neutral interlock switch goes, chances are there's some sort of proximity adjustment for it. once you get your service manual that should be a big help and should walk you through things reguarding that (Did you get the clymer manual, or the official suzuki factory service manual?). If there is no adjustment, the switch shouldn't be all that expensive to replace (maybe $15).

For the hard starting, re-building the carb can help, and kits are readily available on ebay for about $10. If that doesn't do it, check your jetting by doing plug chops and correct as needed. You might also want to check your valve clearance, too. Those procedures should be clearly outlined in you service manual.

Lastly, how bad is the smoking? If it's not too bad, I would put it off as much as possible (I'm lazy like that). But eventually, you're going to need a piston and rings, honing, and a good deal of time.

Good luck with your "new old" bike and remember the most important 230 term - WATCH YOUR CHAIN TENSION, AXLE BEARINGS, SWINGARM BEARINGS, CHAIN GUIDES, CHAIN, AND SPROCKETS! If you keep the rear end happy on your 230, you will have yourself a good, fun, reliable bike.

hope this helps

Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for replyin lt230sman! I just got the Clymers manual and will be using it. The guy i bought the quad said he had a 104 point insp done and rebuilt the carb before he sold it to me. I had it home 1 day and the throttle froze(pennsylvania winters). The next day was good weather so I rode for a few hours. Right before I got home it started gettin slugish so I parked it and covered it up and went to work.The next day I noticed that it dumped quite a bit of gas into the airbox. I havent had the weather yet to clean it out. What would cause it to do that? I'm thinking the float got stuck maybe? Im gonna clean everything real good and put fresh gas and oil in,adjust the pilot screw to spec,set the idle, and hope for the best! The smoke is mostly when I start up. When it ran it ran good. Also it needs back rims pretty bad,what other models rims work? I'm gonna do a compression test soon,what kpa should be ideal? the manual says 1200-1600kpa. I got more questions that ill save for later...thanx

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine (230S) smokes at start up as well, I think it is the valve seals/guides, but am putting it off as long as I can like stated earlier. Make sure the float setting s correct, sometimes it is easerier to set it wit the carb out of the bike, but try to follow the manual best you can. You are right setting the float, pilot, and idle screw, also make sure the choke is not stuck one way or the other. Once that set, and you run it, then you can check your plug for proper jetting. Make sure the air filter is clean as well.

I have a whole set of 230 rims and tires I am willing to sell, but I think the shippign would kill the deal, wher are you located?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi ugly88.im about a 100 miles north of pittsburgh pa,where are you? I do need rims the ones it has are bent up pretty good. I'm looking to get a portable tachometer any recommendations?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Wisconsin, zip 53121.

If you want a tach for doing the maintanance, there is one that is inexpensive from Rockymountain.com, or denniskirk.com. Look there and get the company name an you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but Rocky is a good company and the prices are usually right in line with everywhere else.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone help me out with a issue I have on my quad lt230 it's an 88 and it came with the factory GOKI electric starter kit but it has a leak I ther cover but that's not a huge issue the big problem is the that it leaks a lot from the middle of the starter whole/bolts, and I mean its like spitting out oil from there like crazy any ideas on what I could do to fix it, because I really want to start riding my lt230 again

Old 05-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a 87 lt230e with rare front rack(from what I have heard) but I need help with replacing the clutch discs