Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you send in the pick up coil as well and ask them about the wear marks?

Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

(The stator and pickup are together as one unit and cannot be separated.)

Rick's told me that the stator and pickup were both fine. He called me back after my previous post and said he did an ohms test on the stator and it ohmed out at 115. He had another one there that tested out at 110 ohms, so he is going to send me BOTH stators to try. Nice guy!

Jackie

Old 10-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stator problem.

It is very possible the stator coil is the problem. I once checked one with an ohm meter and it checked ok until I hooked it in series with 110 volt , then it quit. It's possible the temprature of the stator causes an open circuit in the winding.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for your reply Phonce. However, I have had the stator out of the quad twice now. It was rebuilt last winter and retested (good) just last week.

Yesterday I got the stator reinstalled (NOT an easy job) and the bike started right up. It ran for about a minute and stalled. I tried restarting and and it would fire when I was using the starter, but wouldn't stay running.

I got a new tester and will start reohming the wires in the next day or two. (I didn't think the other tester was right, so I had an electrician look at it. He said it wasn't right so I returned it to sears for a different/ much better model.)

Thanks,
Jackie

Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Range Rover
Default Where is Kenm????????????????????????????

Where ya hiding Ken?

I thought you would like to know.... I got my GREEN book!!!!! It only took a month to get it via Media Mail!

Jackie

Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
Where ya hiding Ken?

I thought you would like to know.... I got my GREEN book!!!!! It only took a month to get it via Media Mail!

Jackie

I'm still out here in cyberspace... I'm not a big poster.

Well, did your new book shed any light on your troubles?

You should get this: 4 x 4 King Quad Terrific Condition $2250 or BRO

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Kenm
I'm still out here in cyberspace... I'm not a big poster.

Well, did your new book shed any light on your troubles?

You should get this: 4 x 4 King Quad Terrific Condition $2250 or BRO
Well....... there you are you Rascal! Nice to "see" you again! LOL

Re: my lawn ornament: I ohmed out the coil and it didn't read what the "Green" book said it should, so I took it to the dealership (where I purchased the bike) to have them check it out. The owner of the place took the coil to the shop and a few minutes later appeared with a very smelly coil that was cracked down the side. He said it was shorted out and blew when he started the test. He actually burned his finger quite badly too! The tester he used tested the coil under power (a dynamic test), and obviously it failed or..... he botched the test! Nothing would surprise me anymore. He said he has had the dealership since the late 60's and he has only seen a coil blow once before this. (HHhhhmmmmm) So, he had to order a coil for me, and it should be in Wednesday. I'm not putting much stock into the coil being the culprit for several reasons: 1. the bike was running (albeit with weak spark) minutes before the coil blew up. 2. The coil was the very first part I replaced when the bike started with the weak and intermittant spark crap. However, I have heard where a new coil could be bad. So, who knows?

Many of the tests in the Clymer and the Green Book are to be performed with their Suzuki Pocket tester. Obviously I don't have one, but I did remember having a RAdio Shack analog tester in my basement. I loaned it to a friend a long time ago, and he messed something up in it. I couldn''t remember just what worked and what didn't, so I dug it out. After installing fresh batteries, I found that the ohms part of the meter worked perfectly... it even has RX1 and RX1k just like the suzuki analog meter. So, long story short, I redid the resistance tests on the CDI, R/R, and everything checked out except for the coil.

Re: the ATV in NH
Trust me Ken, IF I had 2 grand, that sucker would be sitting in my woodshed! Better yet, why don't YOU buy it and give me your Quad? Huh, huh, huh?????

Welcome back, my friend!
Jackie

Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
Well....... there you are you Rascal! Nice to "see" you again! LOL

* Thank you, you are too kind.

Re: my lawn ornament: I ohmed out the coil and it didn't read what the "Green" book said it should, so I took it to the dealership (where I purchased the bike) to have them check it out. The owner of the place took the coil to the shop and a few minutes later appeared with a very smelly coil that was cracked down the side. He said it was shorted out and blew when he started the test. He actually burned his finger quite badly too! The tester he used tested the coil under power (a dynamic test), and obviously it failed or..... he botched the test! Nothing would surprise me anymore. He said he has had the dealership since the late 60's and he has only seen a coil blow once before this. (HHhhhmmmmm) So, he had to order a coil for me, and it should be in Wednesday. I'm not putting much stock into the coil being the culprit for several reasons: 1. the bike was running (albeit with weak spark) minutes before the coil blew up. 2. The coil was the very first part I replaced when the bike started with the weak and intermittant spark crap. However, I have heard where a new coil could be bad. So, who knows?

* Who knew yanking a plug wire off a running machine was bad for it???

* What was wrong with your sears meter? Granted you're not going to get a Fluke for $29.99, but you verified the magneto problem both in resistance and voltage. I mean the problem is intermittent, and is it possible that your magneto tested good at Rick's but is still screwed up?

* I'm just curious, do you have a mechanical background?

Many of the tests in the Clymer and the Green Book are to be performed with their Suzuki Pocket tester. Obviously I don't have one, but I did remember having a RAdio Shack analog tester in my basement. I loaned it to a friend a long time ago, and he messed something up in it. I couldn''t remember just what worked and what didn't, so I dug it out. After installing fresh batteries, I found that the ohms part of the meter worked perfectly... it even has RX1 and RX1k just like the suzuki analog meter. So, long story short, I redid the resistance tests on the CDI, R/R, and everything checked out except for the coil.

Re: the ATV in NH
Trust me Ken, IF I had 2 grand, that sucker would be sitting in my woodshed! Better yet, why don't YOU buy it and give me your Quad? Huh, huh, huh?????

* Hey, why didn't I think of that, that would solve both of our problems, er, wait a minute....

Welcome back, my friend!
Jackie

ten char

Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Ken said: 1.* Who knew yanking a plug wire off a running machine was bad for it???

2.* What was wrong with your sears meter? Granted you're not going to get a Fluke for $29.99, but you verified the magneto problem both in resistance and voltage. I mean the problem is intermittent, and is it possible that your magneto tested good at Rick's but is still screwed up?

3. * I'm just curious, do you have a mechanical background?

1. I honestly had no idea that pulling a plug wire off a plug to stop a motor was bad, but...... it makes some sort of sense... where does the voltage go that is sent by the coil?????? LOL!

2. I mentioned several times on this forum that I thought the DVM was reading a tad wonky. I took it back to Sears, and a customer, who was an electrician, said it was not reading properly at times. Sometimes it roamed up and down even when you held the probes together... ie: .03 to 1.8 (or more) and back. Sears gave me a $60 tester as an even exchange! Re: the magneto; I'm thinking it did in fact test properly at Ricks, but perhaps the pickup isn't in sync with the rotor? (or something like that?) Oh yeah, I am SO NOT looking forward to ripping that out again.... UGH!

3. Mechanical background? <looking behind me> Nope, nothing back there! LOL! On a serious note; I have taken things apart since I was very young. My Mom called me destructive, but I was just curious as to how things worked. The only thing I wasn't able to get back together was my Dad's pocket watch.. 'cause the main spring flew out! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm now a fixer person of sorts. If it's broken I'll enjoy the challenge of fixing it. The ATV was a fun challenge, but only during the first year. It's getting really old now, and I just want it running!

Jackie

Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Range Rover

[quote=AdirondackGal;2862085]Ken said: 1.* Who knew yanking a plug wire off a running machine was bad for it???

2.* What was wrong with your sears meter? Granted you're not going to get a Fluke for $29.99, but you verified the magneto problem both in resistance and voltage. I mean the problem is intermittent, and is it possible that your magneto tested good at Rick's but is still screwed up?

3. * I'm just curious, do you have a mechanical background?

1. I honestly had no idea that pulling a plug wire off a plug to stop a motor was bad, but...... it makes some sort of sense... where does the voltage go that is sent by the coil?????? LOL!

* I don't know either, but I'm skeptical since you already changed it.

2. I mentioned several times on this forum that I thought the DVM was reading a tad wonky. I took it back to Sears, and a customer, who was an electrician, said it was not reading properly at times. Sometimes it roamed up and down even when you held the probes together... ie: .03 to 1.8 (or more) and back. Sears gave me a $60 tester as an even exchange! Re: the magneto; I'm thinking it did in fact test properly at Ricks, but perhaps the pickup isn't in sync with the rotor? (or something like that?) Oh yeah, I am SO NOT looking forward to ripping that out again.... UGH!

* Well, if you have problems with this tester shoot for the Fluke next. I don't think it's out of sync, that is a function of the rotor to coil, plus it's intermittent.

3. Mechanical background? <looking behind me> Nope, nothing back there! LOL! On a serious note; I have taken things apart since I was very young. My Mom called me destructive, but I was just curious as to how things worked. The only thing I wasn't able to get back together was my Dad's pocket watch.. 'cause the main spring flew out! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm now a fixer person of sorts. If it's broken I'll enjoy the challenge of fixing it. The ATV was a fun challenge, but only during the first year. It's getting really old now, and I just want it running!

* That was background, not rear end!!!

Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!