Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Problem with '04 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Had the EXACT problem with mine. My buddy and I took it apart after it broke down one day and the carb was FILTHY. we took some honda carb cleaner to it (don't tell no one because i'm strictly a suzuki guy) and no it runs prime. Havent had a problem with it since

Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned the carb on my 2004 eiger but I am having the problem idling. In neutral I get it started and give it the gas and black smoke comes out At high speed it runs ok just when I come to a stop it dies I was wondering if is something major or just some carb adjustment Thanks for a response

Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kkiser
I cleaned the carb on my 2004 eiger but I am having the problem idling.

When you say you cleaned the carb, did you mean that you completely disassembled it by removing every jet, the needle, the float, etc.

Did you spray carb cleaner through every port and jet until each was completely clear?

Or do you mean that you sprayed cleaner down the carb throat or added carb cleaner to the gas tank?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by kkiser
did you find out what caused the white smoke mine did the same thing and It puts a lot of fuel in the filter compartment I drained it and tried to start it again without the filter and gas and oil mixture started pouring into it I dont know if it is rings or head gasket or what Just wanted to know if yours did the same thing and did you get it fixed?

Hey did you ever get urs fixed? I'm having the exact same problem. Thanks

Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Common problem with Eigers, in fact most Suzukis with carbs. Firstly you should run with the tap set on RUN, if you have it on prime when you are not starting for the first time after an empty tank, you are liable to get a filter box and crankcase full of fuel. For this to happen the float needle must be leaking as well. Check the oil, if the sump is over full and the oil thin, change it as the fuel has got in there as well. Empty the fuel from the air filter box and squeeze excess from the filter. If you are feeling enthusiastic remove the carb and clean it out, checking the float needle for bits of grit stuck to the point and that the tiny spring loaded plunger is springing. Once re-assembled, set tap to run and try to start, you may need full throttle. If it doesn't start, try prime, but be sure to turn it back to run once started.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the info

Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2004 Suzuki Eiger 4x4

hello guys I have a Suzuki Eiger 4x4 2004 if you cut the key on and turn the run switch on the bars on there is a little red light on the dash which I take it as being oil pressure Maybe? That light comes on when you go to start it it will fire but when that light goes off it quits firing you can slide the red switch on the handlebar to the off position and back on and the red light will come back on try to start it again and it will fire then the light goes off then it won't fire repeat the process over and over. does anybody have any ideas what this could be check the oil and it was full if I cut they switch on the handlebars off and back on again in pull the pull starter slowly it gets to the point and that red light cuts offso it has something to do with the rotation of the motor and a sensor I just don't have a clue what any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I think you would have been better starting a new thread, the "run" position I was posting about is on the tap (petcock). The red light is oil temp, and comes on when you switch on to tell you it is working. It stays on for a few seconds then goes off unless the engine overheats. I doubt if it has anything to do with your bike not running.

Try a new plug, and check for a spark with the plug cap connected and the plug laid on the head. If the spark goes after the first crank, you are on your own, as this is a fault I have never solved. Some say it is a dirty pickup coil on the flywheel.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you

thank you for responding I figured out what the problem was it was because of the low voltage a bad battery

Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

somebody was posting where to buy a AGM battery it was from Napa if anyone sees that link will you please repost