Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Utility Steering Trouble with nothing wrong Because of heavy rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Utility Steering Trouble with nothing wrong Because of heavy rear end?

Just curious I own a 92 LTF250 Quadrunner utility with racks and it is only two wheel drive. is there anyone out there that hasnt noticed that there isnt enough weight in the front end to hold the tires onto the ground for traction on steering? During my first few rides on this machine, I went to go take a turn only giving it light throttle and to my suprise I kept on going straight with the front wheels turned all the way to the side. It wasnt until I leaned way forward and pressed down on the handlebars when the front tires finally got traction and started to turn. Plenty of tread too. Im not even talking about coming down hard on the gas, just barely giving it gas I went to take a turn and the front end seems like its just hovering and barely touching the ground. I seem to notice it more during slower speeds. A light weight front end also has an effect on braking too, especially if you only have front brakes and no rear brakes!! LOL I am not ripping on suzuki I love this machine but I think this was a design flaw on this machine they should have put the engine a bit forward more. Maybe it works out ok on the 4wd machines because you have the extra weight of the front differential. Anyone experience the same problem as me? I wonder if the newer ozark 250 2wd's are like this too? I cant tell from pictures because theres alot of plastic covering the engine.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

i used to ride a 05 ozark i think never had a problem with it of corse that thing felt like a moose when loading it ..it was a 2x

Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

I love my early 90's 2wd 250 Quadrunner. Yes it is heavy in the back but i have a pic of my 2wd stuck next to a 500 sportsman (look in the worst stuck photos). That is the exact reason I bought it. It is very picky about what it takes to cut donuts and usually requires all but hanging off the left side, and that is in a sand pit. Is it a 4 wheeler for a person who wants car like ride quality and zero problems like most new atvs? NO! It is an old school quad that rides like a old 3/4 ton truck with tons of body roll. As for front braking I have about 1/2 inch of tread on my tires and really miss my front brakes. Therefore I'll be getting them fixed asap. Also, I'm running 25-11-10 maxxis mudbugs in the rear. they lack a little side traction which does help with turning. However good luck finding them as they were being discontinued when I got my pair. If I had to do it again I think i would have the Kenda bear claws. the mudbugs seem a little to aggressive and bury themselves without much if any warning.

anyway, that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dsmith222
Just curious I own a 92 LTF250 Quadrunner utility with racks and it is only two wheel drive. is there anyone out there that hasnt noticed that there isnt enough weight in the front end to hold the tires onto the ground for traction on steering? During my first few rides on this machine, I went to go take a turn only giving it light throttle and to my suprise I kept on going straight with the front wheels turned all the way to the side. It wasnt until I leaned way forward and pressed down on the handlebars when the front tires finally got traction and started to turn. Plenty of tread too. Im not even talking about coming down hard on the gas, just barely giving it gas I went to take a turn and the front end seems like its just hovering and barely touching the ground. I seem to notice it more during slower speeds. A light weight front end also has an effect on braking too, especially if you only have front brakes and no rear brakes!! LOL I am not ripping on suzuki I love this machine but I think this was a design flaw on this machine they should have put the engine a bit forward more. Maybe it works out ok on the 4wd machines because you have the extra weight of the front differential. Anyone experience the same problem as me? I wonder if the newer ozark 250 2wd's are like this too? I cant tell from pictures because theres alot of plastic covering the engine.
how much meatyer are your rear tires? cuz those LTF250's are HEAVY BEASTS in the rear, and not having a differential of course doesnt help. my friend has one and i love it. basically no brakes, completley bald tires (he got new ones now), electric start didnt work, and it used oil. but it was a hoot. reliable, smooth riding, went anywhere most 4x4's did, just a whole lot of fun.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

I know exactly what you're talking about. My rear is locked also, don't know whether it is manual or full time, but slowwwwww turns are a chore and fast turns (fast to me is 2nd gear) are hairy. I have an '85 lt230 Quadrunner BTW. Different but probably share a lot of similarities. My rear brakes are also gone.

I have a smidge less than 1 acre lot in my neighborhood but we have a 430' privacy fence around the back yard. I recently broke 2 ribs and cracked the T8 in my back. I can move around OK but a lot of previously simple tasks are requiring the 'zuki's help. For instance my wife stained our deck and some of the big flower pots got switched front to back. Normally I would pick up two at a time and haul back and forth. Had to put them on the rear rack and ride them to and fro. We also have one of those indestructable garden hoses I was using before I fell down the stairs and I left it in back and I couldn't pick it up and carry it after I rolled it. So I had to go pick it up on the zuki and ride it into the garage.

My wife originally grimaced when I brought it home from Dad's, but it's come in most handy. I bought a zero turn mower and lost the ability to tow my attachments like an aerorator. I use my quad, but turning is a beast.