Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 lt230s no spark?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 lt230s no spark?????

Ok i just bought my son and i a quad well i actually traded my 86 chevy for it but it has no spark. I see myself as pretty mechanically inclined but i know NOTHING about 4-wheelers. Can any one help?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Range Rover

It may help if you give us a little more information.. ie: what have you tested, the results, and have you replaced any parts?

Jackie

Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 86 230

ok i dont know how to check anything! i did take off the left cover and there is a very little amount of an oil substance in there. would that cause it not to get spark? i was told from the the guy i got it from he replaced the coil and cdi and still no spark. that leaves the pickup coil, stator, and uuugh ??????? like i said i am atv tarded Please help if possible i wanna get it runnin but i also know if i buy electical parts i can not return them. i am afraid if i buy soething and it is the wrong part the "real" bad part will short out what i buy. Is that true?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Range Rover

Hi Brian,

Electrical problems are the worst! I have been chasing my tail with a 1988 LT-4WD for many months, looking for an electrical problem such as yours. The only difference is, my lack of spark would come and go, and that is the hardest to troubleshoot. If you have the time, you may want to read through a very lengthy thread "1988 Suzuki Lt-4WD has intermittant spark." There you might find some testing proceedures that may provide you some answers. Yes, it could be an electrical part, but it may also be a short in the wiring or, like mine, in a connector. There is a great guy, Kenm, that helped me do some electrical testing. If you can get a multitester, and him to help you, you may find your problem.

I don't know your particular bike, but if I were you, I would check to see if there was voltage coming from your pickup in the stator first, 'cause that is where it all starts.

Good Luck Brian, and be patient, you will find the problem if you systematically check it, and if you can get Kenm to help. He really knows his stuff!

Jackie

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you very much sweetie and i have read and re read and re read your thread. But i am stuck at not knowing really how to use an ohm meter. lol feel like a dumba**

Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by brian_leeth2000
i am stuck at not knowing really how to use an ohm meter. lol feel like a dumba**
Brian..... don't feel like a dumba$$!!!! Trust me, if I can use a multimeter, I'm sure you can! The meters are relatively inexpensive, especially if you consider the prices of electrical parts for your quad! Do a google search on multimeter tutorials and you will find tons of help. Here's just one of the sites I just found:
How to Use A Multimeter

You can do this, just be careful and don't give up!
Jackie

Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

i need help with my suzuki lt230s 1986 i have no spark

Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

First check the spark plug on another machine or replace the plug. I've seen new ones out of the box not work.

Next check the kill switch and even go a step further and unplug it from the cdi. You can find a wire diagram here: Home (Suzuki LT230S Vault)

You can also find the specs for all the coils on that site, but you have to know how to use an ohm meter.

These are the things necessary for a spark to happen: A power coil to generate the electrical power. A pick-up coil to tell the power coil when to let the power loose and charge the primary winding of the ignition coil. A CDI to to drop the voltage in the primary winding and induce a higher voltage in the secondary winding, sending a spark at the spark plug.

I've never seen an CDI go bad, never seen an ignition coil go bad, never seen a pick-up coil go bad. That leaves the power coil and your spark plug or some wires in the middle.