Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 suzuki eiger stuck in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 suzuki eiger stuck in 4x4

i'm brand new to the atv world and just changed out the wheel bearings and in doing so i found that it's stuck in four wheel drive. is this just a maual lever switch or could it be a electical problem? like maybe a fuse. i check every fuse i could find. any help would be great.

Thank you
FASTLAINE

Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switching between 2wd and 4wd in the Eiger is totally a mechanical function, there is no electrical process involved. Open up the 4wd lever on the handlebars. There is a small plastic cam inside. If it's broken, then the bike will default into 4wd. Bad news is that to fix it you need to replace the entire 4wd shift lever assembly - somewhere around $100 now. Good news is that the replacements are metal, not plastic and will last longer.

Other possibility is that the linkage is damaged or jambed down at the front dif.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

THANK YOU. I will check that out. how hard is it to change that hole cable?

Thanks Again
Tim

Old 11-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I TOOK THE COVER/LEVER OFF AND NOTHING SEEMS TO BE BROKEN VISUALY. THE LITTLE LEVER INSIDE MOVED VERY FREELEY BACK AND FORTH AND YET NOTHING HAPPENED. DO YOU THINK I NEED TO REMOVE IT FROM THE TRANSFER

THANKS AGAIN

TIM

Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

Your switch may have broken then. I also knwo sometimes the plunger will get stuck in the out position. So that could have happened. I would have someone watch the plunger when you move the level on the handle bar. To see if it is moving. You can also jack stand the whole 4 wheeler up as it will move pretty easy then.

The cable is pretty easy to remove though. As all it has is a bolt on each side on the insert. Back the one on the inside all the way back and push the cable out the lock it sites in. I myself found it easier to remove the back bolt on the differential and use a large screw driver and pick the back up the differential up and remove the 2 bolts holding the cable shield in place. But that is just me though.

If the cable isn't broke then there is a adjustment for it right below the 2wd/4wd lever. If you follow the cable down you will see the small rubber boot. Slide the boot back and there is a lock nut and a long tension adjust bolt. Mine has to be almost at the very end to go into 2 wheel drive on mine. Any other place it Just stays in 4 wheel drive then.