Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 Suzuki LT 125 Rare Need Ideas

Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Suzuki LT 125 Rare Need Ideas

I have a Very Nice running 1985 125cc suzuki bike. It was Suzuki's first 4 wheeler ever made, so i consider my bike " Rare " Or a Classic.
Recently just put a new chain and sprokets on it. Problems are:
Front Tires dont Hold Air, Leaks around the rim, Bead Problem.
No Kill Switch, just a Ground wire.
Plastic is Ugly and needs to be painted.
But Overall its Tuff, i had it up to the fenders is ice cold water last night and as soon as it got pulled out, it started up the first crank and worked fine the whole night. I think its built like a Tank. My Tires Hook in any type of terrain, Especially the mud. But i only have about 5 inches of ground clearance so i cant do much.
My question for Y'all, What color Should i paint the Plastics ? What Color Should i Paint The Rims Also ? I want it to look alot better.
With the headlight i have, EVeryone says it looks like something you would see in star Wars. Is there anything i can do to it to make it look cooler ? haha

Heres the pics of my Quad.
Enjoy.

Name:  Picture003-3.jpg
Views: 6665
Size:  194.7 KB
Name:  Picture004-5.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  190.3 KB
Name:  Picture005-4.jpg
Views: 7279
Size:  168.7 KB
Name:  Picture006-4.jpg
Views: 4290
Size:  197.0 KB
Name:  Picture007-4.jpg
Views: 3252
Size:  197.2 KB

Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

I would have said "you can't polish a turd" but an episode of Mythbusters proved me wrong...just kidding amigo

You can't fix a bead problem on a tire...replace it (them) and be sure to use some Slime in the tires. A cycle shop will have a kill switch cheap...if they want more than $10 go somewhere else that's not trying to rip you off

Sandblast or use steel wool on the wheels to clean them for painting...the better you prep them, the better the paint will adhere. Use a good paint. If you're rattle-canning it, use Krylon. The plastics look thoroughly trashed, but if you can clean them down to the plastic, then I have had excellent results using Krylon Fusion for plastics (available at Walmart) Once again, the prep work will make the difference. Krylon Fusion doesn't have an orange, but they do have red which would cover the orange plastic nicely

You have a 12-volt system I believe, so any 35-watt light should work for you, several available at Walmart too. Just install one, as the alternator won't crank enough power to run two lights at the same time. You might have to find a 35 watt bulb at an auto parts store.

Back in my early years of ATV riding, these things were the bomb...of course now that I'm older and have had the experience of riding with a suspension, I wouldn't go back on a bet, but it's still fun to see folks enjoying them.

you're gonna need a new chain and sprockets set soon by the look of it...if you're really gonna put the time and effort into your classic, make sure to buy all three at once.

Good luck, and post some "after" pics...I still smile when I see these dinosaurs running

Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation

I just bought a new set of sprockets and a new chain, There just Dirty from the mud bog the night before. It has no Mechanical problems except the break pads are worn out, so i have no breaking power. The Light i have on it is a 55watt Ultra White Light. It is Really Bright at night. But thats the max i can have because i have to rev the bike up to get the light brighter. The Plastics were Orange, Then Black now. I know ill need to sand them down as well as the Rims. I decided to go with Red Rims and Red Plastics. Will look good to me.

Yeah No Suspension at all on this. I've had to Weld the frame in various places because the frame actually Cracked from all the bumps i hit on trails.
I'm only 16, and this bike kills my back at the end of a good days ride.
But thanks everyone for your Suggestions.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

It looks like your chain tensioner is at the max, you might need to tighten the chain up a bit.

The 35 watt bulb will work better...maybe not as bright at high rpms, but it will be consistent (even at idle) and will save unneeded wear and tear on your old engine.
If you need more light, look at Ricky Stator at Ricky Stator to see about a better stator coil setup....you will probably have to send yours in for a rewind since they don't have one listed in their catalog, but I have had a RS system on my kid's TRX90 for over 10 years, and it has never had a problem.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

The chain tensioner can be tightened alot more.
The 55watt light is plenty light, I'm getting a Brute force 750 now and this thing is gonna go in the garage and be my backup. maybe 20 years from now i can sell it for alot.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Range Rover

A friend built front and rear racks for His 125 and it made the machine look twice as big.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
m44
Weekend Warrior

How many gears do these have and what is the shift pattern. thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default need crank case

i need a crankcase for the same year. but a 3wheeler. mayb same as the 4. helpppp 219 798 8841

Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by m44
How many gears do these have and what is the shift pattern. thanks
they have five gears and its all up and netrual is all the way down

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey how much you want 4 the tires off that??? willing to trade if i have to?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 Suzuki LT 125 Rare Need Ideas