Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 lt250ef

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 86 lt250ef

Ok guys a little help if u will. Just bought 86 LT250EF. It starts runs as long as u give a little gas every now and then. Carb....looks like a nightmare I'm talking electrical tape on every connection, throttle cable, where it mounts the top end think the only one with out is the airfilter box. so I know I'm gonna spend significant time on the carb. the back brake seized can't get the double nuts holding the housing on any ideas how to get this off? I used two pipe wrenches that didn't work at all. anyone have a manual for this machine or one similar to it. headlights....just replaced bulb wired it back to the cables that dumbass before me cut when I run it lights didn't work then after ten or so minutes running they flick on. as soon as i turn it off and back on they don't work again. when i turn them on now sometimes i get a flash but mostly nothing at all.....and ideas? Any help I would be greatful email is madrox612@yahoo.com in case anyone can send me the manual

Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

did you try heating up the nuts with a torch to loosen them?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I tried that I think I'm just gonna cut the ******* and order new ones. I've moved on to my light situation now. found out the extra ac output works so I was thinking maybe I could just wire my own with a switch running off the output. any suggestions?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just bought the same bike,,,i have the key but nothing turns on,, so cant use the electric starter,,, on/off switch works,,, mine came with a snomobile carb,,so i have to change that, i hear its supose to have a mikuni vm28 but im goin to buy the vm32 as its quite less expencive on ebay,, i have to do the rear brakes as well. and when i have time and money i will invest in a battery and if possible (if they sell it) i will change the wire harness to avoid future electrical problems. i didnt pay much for the bike and its in phisical good shape,,,and a good project too. if anyone has a link for an owner manual? would be well appreciated, if someone needs parts? please inbox me,, i foud a few good sellers on ebay that have pretty much everything.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

i dont know why the darn gas tank is under the seat for?!?!?!?!?! just found out it has a fuel pump,,,cant find it but i know its pumping hahahaha

Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I don't know if this applies to your situation but if you encounter a rusted bolt that won't budge. First get two cups worth of water and set it beside. Then take a torch even a blue propane torch works and heat the nut not red but close to it, ( with propane you have to heat longer).
As you are done shut off heat source then quickly douse the part with the water to cool it fast. Then using your wrench or what not start with good pressure to unscrew, you will see it will budge but very minutely but just untight and tight action and the part will move more and more until its off.
When you see it budges initially don't force it too much or you may break the bolt just wiggle it kind of action.
I did some nuts or bolts that were so rusted they seemed welded and off they came with a bit of patience. I know most try to heat to get the expansion but many times heat won't do it especially if they are very rusted.

Good Luck and let me know if it helped.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

for aure heat and cold loosens bolts,,,always good to add antiseize after

Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did some measuring this morning, seems a mikuni vm26 carb would be more appropriate than the vm32 i was thinking of ordering,,,,,

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

32 would likely be too big of a carb for it. the original has a 24-500 designation stamped into it. it's a mikuni made for suzuki with the extra upper choke pull that provides part throttle during warmup. a 24 series standard replacement carb should be what you're after--it just won't have the extra choke pull and may be jetted a little differently. if you guys end up needing some frame chassis, rear brake or rear axle parts, pm me--likewise if you have any extra engine/electrical items for one of these dinosaurs. the one i'm working with (engine for a buggy) is nothing but bits and pieces. front suspension is already in another buggy build.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya i was ooking at changing the rear breaks and both bearings,,did some searching n i found out the bearings are different sizes,be a total of 70$ for new breaks n bearings,,, how much u want for yours?

Quick Reply: 86 lt250ef