Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'09 450 axi

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 450 axi

I bought an '04 Honda Recon to make my atv collection a little more modern. I was using an '85-'87 (can't remember year) LT 230GE. Other than replacing the battery a couple of days ago, the Recon has been reliable and bullet proof.

We had 6 or 7 hunting stands on our lease and we added 6 or 7 more yesterday. At least 4 good new stands I couldn't reach on my Recon. The hills were too steep to pull. The Recon was too light and lacked 4WD. On one rise, I lost traction and the front end came up. I immediately put weight forward but then lost weight on the rear and lost traction. I was spinning and sliding backwards simultaneously. This hill was less than 40 deg incline and I only had maybe 40-50 ft from bottom to top. My two buddies had a 450 Foreman and a 400'ish Yamaha, both 4wd and considerably bigger and heavier. Both flew up like nothing. I took the best option as far as a line. What I saw was due to uneven terrain, I only had one rear wheel touching ground at a time.

The other hill was about 100 yds with a flat in the middle for a bit of relief. Just too steep for my machine and it was damp grass and I just slid down backwards with wheels spinning forward before I got to the mid flat spot.

Sorry for the rambling. My local dealer has offered me what I paid for the Recon back in May and he has a brand new left over '09 KQ 450 axi that he said I could have for $5600. Sounds like a good deal to me. Not having to worry or clean a carb if not ridden for a week or two and the added 4WD has intrigued me. However, after doing a search here, I can't find much info on this model.

Many probs out of it? My old Suzuki is a good machine and the Recon has been too. Not brand loyal when it comes to atvs. Did prefer to stick with the big brands and this deal was offered.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

My wife has an 07 450 and I have and 09 500 with power steering and niether of them has had any issues whatsoever. the starting in cold weather is a breeze and the 450 has no problem with any hills thus far, plenty of power. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you change out the stock air filter, it's crap. It doesn't seal well, letting dirt into the engine. That, cheap tires, and no oil dipstick access without taking the plastic off are the only major complaints with Suzukis.

Replace the air filter with a UNI or Twin Air, replace the tires, and read this thread on oil dipstick access, and you'll have a great ride.

Nyroc's ATV info website

Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a 500 class utility review where the KQ450 wins. 500 Class Clash | ATV Magazine Online

here's another shootout it wins. http://www.world-of-atvs.com/4x4-atvs.html

Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

When I first contacted the dealer it started out as a leftover 2010 for $5400. Before I could make the first post here, it went to $5600 and it was an '09. Went to dealership in person and according to the VIN it was an '08. He changed to $5700 before I could get to the dealership and when I saw it was an '08, he dropped back down to $5600.

He had an '09 400FS that he worked a deal on.

After getting upset at the run around and leaving. I got a call today, went back and they found an uncrated '10 400AS that he really worked a deal on. I basically got everything I wanted in a quad. At first EFI intrigued me, but decided I preferred a carb. I also preferred a SRA. I wanted an automatic too. I love shifting gears but now my wife can ride some and my son and I won't be foot fighting with me trying to shift gears. Big thing is, they had this one in green and they only had the 450axi in red. It's a hunting quad and I wanted green.

I love it so far. My first 4X4 quad.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got a ride, just check the things I mentioned.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

You got a nice machine there, You have the basics and a pretty bulltproof machine! Congrats
As far as the tires go, it's a personal preference. Some people like stock, some don't. Just because I don't doesn't mean you have to change them. Wear them out and it's always a good idea to have a plug kit anyway.
Have fun and enjoy!