Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1986 suzuki lt 230 will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 suzuki lt 230 will not idle

hello, i am not very educated with mechanical work but i have a Suzuki lt 230 and it will start up after about a million kicks and then it will not idle. it runs perfect (well it is like ok lol) the story is we bought it when it was running perfect started first kick and ran amazingly, and my brother took it mudding and didnt fill the oil and he seized it. we had another one same year we scraped the parts off it and got it rebuilt and running again, but as of late, it will not idle, not sure what the problem is. but anything is helpful, and please be very descriptive as if explaining to a 5 year old because im not very educated on mechanical work lol. thank you actually my brother posted a video on youtube explaining it about a year ago please watch it and let me know whats going on. thank you so much.

YouTube - Suziki QuadSport 1986 Stalls When Left To Idle Help Please

Old 09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, the low speed jet was to rich, also try turning off the fuel and opening up the drain on the carb untill it stops leaking fuel out the line then take some high pressure carb cleaner, or some other kind of aresolt that comes out fast (Carb,Brake cleaner, wd, jep, 45 ect), then poke the straw down the line that goes to the carb from the tank, then spray about 5-6 secounds to clean out the passway that allows fuel to go to the bowl, then turn back on the gas and flush out the dirty carb cleaner then close the drain plug, then spray anthor 2-3 secound burst into the line, turn the fuel back on and your done, you might have to play with the low speed idle screw it depends what kind of exhaust air filter, air box, the stock setting is 2 turnes out from in, just becarefull not to over tighting it.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you but umm, could you maybe explain lol i dont really understand... umm so i turn off the gas and remove the carb? and just clean it basically?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by kornleash
thank you but umm, could you maybe explain lol i dont really understand... umm so i turn off the gas and remove the carb? and just clean it basically?
Nope dont take the carb off, turn off the gas, take off the fuel line at the tank so the line is still attached to the carb, now spray some carb cleaner or summin like that, lousin up the carb drain screw and wait untill all of the fluild comes out, now tightin it back up, give it a few sec. burst, put the fuel line back on and fire it up and run it for a bit and see if it works.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by chris111179
Nope dont take the carb off, turn off the gas, take off the fuel line at the tank so the line is still attached to the carb, now spray some carb cleaner or summin like that, lousin up the carb drain screw and wait untill all of the fluild comes out, now tightin it back up, give it a few sec. burst, put the fuel line back on and fire it up and run it for a bit and see if it works.
ok thank you, i will try that in the morning, you said brake cleaner will work? and where is the carb drain screw? which one is it?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Now that i look at the brake cleaner it wont work because it has a chemical that if it sets it will, rust your carb, the drain screw is on the bottom of the carb it probluby has a line running off from it and it has a screw when you losing it will pour gas out the line.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by chris111179
Now that i look at the brake cleaner it wont work because it has a chemical that if it sets it will, rust your carb, the drain screw is on the bottom of the carb it probluby has a line running off from it and it has a screw when you losing it will pour gas out the line.

thanks i got it running real good now even re painted my plastics hank you so much

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is how you clean a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor. Disassembly and Cleaning of a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor for next time.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK SO I TOOK THE CARB OFF AND CLEANED IT ALL GOOD AND IT IDLED FOR A DAY BUT NOW I RODE IT THIS AFTERNOON AND IT WILL NOT IDLE AGAIN BACK TO SQUARE ONE, ANY OPINIONS?: confused:

Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

I would start by cleaning out the fuel tank, if fuel shutoff has a filter, clean that then reclean the carb. It sounds like dirt/debris is traveling from the tank back into the carb clogging up the carb.

Quick Reply: 1986 suzuki lt 230 will not idle