Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Start rope replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start rope replacement

Hi. Any one have a site or instructions on how to change the starting rope on a LT-A50 quad.
I replace the old one because the nok broke, and try to put everything back the way it was, but i pull it once, twice, and the the rope never retract.
Please help my kid is about to strangulate me.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is anything like my suzuki, you need to take the pull start assembly off and remove the pull rope from the assembly. You then need to rotate the spool in the direction that would turn the engine over which will give you resistance against the spring inside. You should rotate it about 5 or 6 times until it is nice and wound up and you can barely hold it by hand. Feed the rope throught the hole in the assembly and through the crank and either tie it in a not or whatever you need to do to hold the rope. You can either slowly release the assembly and let it wind back or move your fingers really quick and let it snap back. This should wind it up for you. Once your tie your not and it is good and tight, hold the assembly and pull it in and out a few times and make sure it works right. You should be good to go.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that sounds right--control the tightening-don't let it snap back though.......works the same way on a lawn mower. just be careful!

strangulate? man, i gotta remember that one!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I hate,working on pull ropes ATVs or Sleds,I bring the whole recoil to the dealer they change the rope for like $10 pluse rope cost and I wait for 15 mins While looking at all the new stuff on the show room floor. Not even worth my time to do it myself I find.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Something wrong!!
Hi and thanks for the help. I took the mechanism apart, install the new rope, assemble everything back as i recall it was before. Pull the rope like 5 times and it get stuck out.
Maybe the ratchet or i dont know. Will keep trying, would be easier to take it to the mechanic, but i really wanna learn how to do this "simple" fix. You never know when you may need that knowledge.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

Originally Posted by leovacc
Something wrong!!
Hi and thanks for the help. I took the mechanism apart, install the new rope, assemble everything back as i recall it was before. Pull the rope like 5 times and it get stuck out.
Maybe the ratchet or i dont know. Will keep trying, would be easier to take it to the mechanic, but i really wanna learn how to do this "simple" fix. You never know when you may need that knowledge.
You've got to rewind the reel until it clicks. Then after you rewind it until it clicks. Rewind it one more rotation until the rope comes back around to the exit hole. This will make it pull snug after a pull start attempt. Pull enough rope out to attach to your rope assembly or handle. This should take care of your problem, unless you have another issue. LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS OR IF THIS WORKS!