Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need advice, LT230 runs then dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, LT230 runs then dies

sorry for the repost, New to the website
Just bought it last week for 550. guy had a recipt for carb cleaning, spark plug, valve adjustment, and new parts for intake. Ran Good, took it out and trail rode it all day (girlfriend rode it) it kept randomly dying throughout the day and i would adjust the idle up al little bit each time. but it would always idle back down the more she rode it till it died then i'd start it and adjust agian. she ended up flipping it, i rolled it over and it started on the 2nd or 3rd pull, never died again the rest of the day. thinkin maybe float was sticky and that free'd it up. topped off the quads during lunch, hers took barely any, we went and rode for maybe another 45mins. we were playin in some puddles then she got stuck in mud, then i got stuck trying to get her out. we shut em off while we dug em out and her's started 2nd or 3rd time again, then thats when it sarted acting up. would run for maybe fifteen second then die. was hard to get back to the trailer took forever. got it home took the carb off and cleaned it. main jet had some dirt in it and so did pilot. (carb was clean but done very poorly by shop) put it back together and it did the same thing, run for short time then dies. I adjusted the valves, which weren't touched, and it started way easier but still ran then died. i noticed you can hear something spinning inside after it dies then clicks and stops, sound like its on the pull start... before i cleaned the carb the spark plug was black and wet, cleaned it the best i could and it comes out looking dry and the same color since the carb cleaning. the quad only does this once it warms up. you can drive it could but once it warms up it dies. could really use some help with this, no money to take it to a shop and i use to be a mechanic so my prides on the line too haha. also the quad is suposedly bored to 270, couldnt get the needle out but didnt look like there were any numbers on it. dont think this has anything to do with the running problem since she rode it all day before this started happening