Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 LT250R Recomendations for shocks and general upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 LT250R Recomendations for shocks and general upgrades

So now that i got it running i just wanted to get some recommendations so i can have a list of upgrades for the bike. I want to work on handling first, so new shocks, can i get a link to some relatively cheap ones somewhere? What else can help? This is on a budget and after the handling is done onto the engine, but i don't know what to do on that, i want to keep it simple no boring out like crazy and nothing too crazy on money. Everything is stock except for the reeds. Any ideas, hit me up, thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Works Performance still makes shocks for that machine, and for the money they are a huge upgrade over stock. You only NEED to replace the fronts, save a little coin by having the rear resprung/revalved/rebuilt.

As for the engine, these 2 strokes can really come alive with a pipe, intake, and rejet. While I was at it, I would put a new clutch and piston in it, possibly go a little higher compression over stock. That should satisfy your need for power and still be reliable to boot.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

A redone spring in the rear would be nice, trouble is who and at what cost? One item at a time ill start with an fmf silencer? Would that be ok? And the intake, that sounds cheap, but at what point do i need to re-jet? AAfter just one of these upgrades or both?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

There are a lot of shops that can rebuild your rear shock. You might want to try Hygear Suspension, Gt Thunder, Derisi Racing, and places like Peps and Works Performance. There are plenty of others as well.

As for the pipe, the silencer does little for power, it is the expansion chamber on the headpipe that gets the job done. Fortunately 2 stroke pipes are usually much cheaper than a 4 stroke pipe. I would just get a whole system up front and be done with it. FMF does make good pipes, I had a Gold Series on my '85 LT that I was happy with.

If you just add a silencer and intake you MAY not have to rejet, but most likely will.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, and works performance shocks were:

LT250R 85-86 Pr Front 12.38 WS DRS $445 $659 A0423

LT250R 85-90 Un Rear 15.00 Y SRS $659 $795 $879 $215 $339 $455 A0425

Does that seem like good prices and all i would really need were the cheapest set up, improvement right?

One more thing, A-arms. Works were like $1,100. Sounds extensive! I might hold off with that and get shocks for the front and rear and a new fatty pipe and silencer with a uni filter and new jets. That should get me started, one thing at a time though. I have never messed with re-jetting so what would you recommend. I mean if i just add a uni filter would i need it?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Measure the length of your shocks. they may be the smae length as a honda 450r, then you can pick up some of those for cheap on ebay.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

450R shocks are almost certainly to longand will ride stiff on your much lighter and shorter armed machine. YFZ shocks would be a closer fit but still probably better off buying something made for the machine.

I think the $1200.00 set of arms includes new shocks as well, which would actually be a pretty sweet deal if they have that kit for your machine.

Rezzies are nice, but if you do go with the Works, at least step up to the dual rate springs minimum.

If you ONLY add the Uni and run the stock airbox lid you shouldn't have to rejet at that time. When you do get the pipe ask the manufacturer what they recommend. A good starting place would be to go up 2-3 sizes on the main and one on the pilot.

Actually, try this... Before altering anything, install a main 3 or 4 sizes larger than what you have and ride it. It should blubber and run poorly. That is what she feels like running rich, and it is good to know how your bike feels when rich. When the pipe goes on a safe way of trial and error would be to go to rich(now you know what it runs like) and dial back a jet size or two at a time until it runs smoothly.

Another general rule for 2 strokes is if you go up 10 on the main(say stock is a 135, and you go up to a 145/150) add one size to the pilot as well. That method was $$ on my '85.

BTW, changing jets on an '85 LT is one of the simplest things to do. Even if you have to buy a bunch of extra jets and do a lot of trial and error tuning, it won't be very hard.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

Ok well I replaced the wet crank seal on the right and whoops the timing is off now, i desperately need help with that before i buy any of the things you recommend. Seeing you owned one how do i get perfect timing.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

the timing on this quadracer is just two gears on the clutch side, both of them have marks on them, just line up the marks and you are done. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks! Too bad i didnt realize when i had it all drained and such! I had all of those gears off too and spun everything for some reason with the gears off

Quick Reply: 1985 LT250R Recomendations for shocks and general upgrades