Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need a little help with LTZ 400 carb setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with LTZ 400 carb setup

I just picked up a 2004 Z400 for my fiance the other day and need a little help here. Supposedly it has a HotRods stage 2 cam, does have full exhaust and it has a large (not sure size) Keihin FCR carb on it. The carb does not have a choke so it won't start when cold and then it also sputters when first hitting the throttle. Once going 4-5 mph its ok, just falls on its face off the bat. Any ideas? Also looking for an original carb, if I go that route any ideas what the jetting should be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm new here with this as a first post but looks to be alot of knowledge around this place! I'm sure I'll need it as I'm used to the 2 smoker bikes!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have a original carb for a Z want to trade? Its a good carb put on a performance carb since my son started racing it. E-mail if you ae interested in trading

Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot to mention my carb is already jetted for hot cams, full ESR pipe and no airbox

Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

you should get rid of that carb,good carb,but not for what you have.use stock carb and proper jetting you'll have no problems,ive dyno'd many of these with factory carb, excellent results.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

"you should get rid of that carb,good carb,but not for what you have.use stock carb and proper jetting you'll have no problems,ive dyno'd many of these with factory carb, excellent results."hahahaha dont know what dyno your using!

ummmm the kehin FCR carbs (39,40,41 etc) outperform the stock 36mm Mikuni CV carb in every way! Especially on the z400. that has to be one of the most common and best mod you can do to the motor.its is fairly easy to fix the problems you have described. the "sputtering" that happens at low engine speeds is the infamous "bog". there are a few ways to fix it.
1. The O-ring mod
2. get a Quickshot for it
3. Tune the accelerator pump timing....etc

Everybody that i've heard of thats switched to the FCR would never go back to the junk stock carb. and there should be a pull out choke mounted on the left side of the carb towards the top.
BTW,HotRods doesnt make cams, Hotcams does. there are two cams in the Z motor. do you know if both or just one is aftermarket? good luck!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice! Any chance you could explain to me how to do the O-ring mod, tune the accelerator pump timing and explain what a quick shot is? Sorry, may be stupid questions but I'm new to quads as far an working on htem go for the most part. My email is bhensley1980@sbcglobal.net if you would prefer that. Thanks alot. Also, any way you could explain in better detail where the choke "should be" so I can figure out how to fix it? Once again, thanks for the help and advise!

Originally Posted by TRX1000
"you should get rid of that carb,good carb,but not for what you have.use stock carb and proper jetting you'll have no problems,ive dyno'd many of these with factory carb, excellent results."hahahaha dont know what dyno your using!

ummmm the kehin FCR carbs (39,40,41 etc) outperform the stock 36mm Mikuni CV carb in every way! Especially on the z400. that has to be one of the most common and best mod you can do to the motor.its is fairly easy to fix the problems you have described. the "sputtering" that happens at low engine speeds is the infamous "bog". there are a few ways to fix it.
1. The O-ring mod
2. get a Quickshot for it
3. Tune the accelerator pump timing....etc

Everybody that i've heard of thats switched to the FCR would never go back to the junk stock carb. and there should be a pull out choke mounted on the left side of the carb towards the top.
BTW,HotRods doesnt make cams, Hotcams does. there are two cams in the Z motor. do you know if both or just one is aftermarket? good luck!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Range Rover

Go to Thumpertalk.com and do some searching. All the mods can be found there.
FCR is a great carb for the quad but if it's just for the GF maybe a stocker is the way to go.
If someone wants to trade get at least $150 plus their carb.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

i was trying to imply a cheaper easier method for him not all off us can be as perfect as you,ive used both of the above,for some one who wants no problems or an easy fix the stocker is the way to go,he never asked about out performing the stock carb.some things you shouldnt mess with if you dont know what your doing,at least someone knows how to use a dyno,and can give advise without suggesting they spend more money!anytime u think you have somthing that performs well come to california,dumont dunes,banshee hill,i can teach u how to go fast,and not just with your mouth.ghive a guy a used quad and all of a sudden he's a pro!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

in my first few words i said it was a good carb,maybe pay a little more attention before you think and speak you might get a clue.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRX1000
BTW, HotRods and HotCams is run by the same chislin' cheap-*** that imports his junk from Malasia.

Quick Reply: Need a little help with LTZ 400 carb setup