Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Looking for a new sport quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new sport quad

I am getting back into riding and am interesting in getting a sport quad for trail riding mainly and some track riding but nothing serious. I would like a reliable quad that has power but doesn't break the bank on maintenance costs. I've been looking at the 09 Lt-z 400 a lot because I've heard and read about how reliable it is and how it doesn't require much maintenance other than the normal small things and is fuel injected. My cousin has an 07 Bill Balance YFZ 450. While i love the power and all, It seems he is constantly spilling money on things for maintenance. Also the ground clearance isn't ideal for trails here in East Tennessee.
Any Ideas/Suggestions?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I am getting back into riding and am interesting in getting a sport quad for trail riding mainly and some track riding but nothing serious. I would like a reliable quad that has power but doesn't break the bank on maintenance costs. I've been looking at the 09 Lt-z 400 a lot because I've heard and read about how reliable it is and how it doesn't require much maintenance other than the normal small things and is fuel injected. My cousin has an 07 Bill Balance YFZ 450. While i love the power and all, It seems he is constantly spilling money on things for maintenance. Also the ground clearance isn't ideal for trails here in East Tennessee.
Any Ideas/Suggestions?
Your a smart man. Get the 400. They are one of the best and might be the best overall quad ever made. They just do all things well.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard they are the most reliable 400 of the bunch. Would it be better to get the newer one with fuel injection or is the carb just as good?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know if any machine can match the reliability of a 400ex but the Zuki 400 is right there.
I agree, a 400 class machine is best for your riding. It'll last forever.
EFI is a great thing but if your going to leave the machine stock, a reg carb will be trouble free.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

No Power advantage with a throttle body, if thats what your thinking. Here is a 2010 450 motocross comparison where the KTM with a carb beats out all the Japaneess with efi. 2010 Motocross Shootout Conclusion - Dirt Bike Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA

Pin the throttle and the KTM’s engine doles out a ridiculously flat spread of power, and we mean that in the best way. Despite not employing electronic fuel-injection and instead relying on a Keihin FCR 41 carburetor, jetting and throttle response were spot-on in the high desert elevation at Racetown.

Here is a 2008 shoot out where the only 450 with efi comes in dead last Racer X Canada - motocross and supercross news and features from around Canada

The Suzuki has a nice bottom end it. It didn’t bog, but it did pop a couple of times. I couldn’t really notice any difference between the EFI and carbureted bikes.
Don,t let a throttle body be a the most important deciding factor.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I was sorry I sold my 06 kfx (ltz). Did a lot of trail riding and was really happy with the way it handled. You really can't go wrong with either the ltz or the Honda ex. Both are great all around quads.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would take a EFI machine over any carbed model ANY day! It is nice where I ride as the altitude change constantly and it is so nice to have to not fiddle fart with a carb, I would rather be riding than wrenching! Almost all race to big bore bikes are EFI and are winning all the races these days so there track records have been outstanding!!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Wrenching a carb? I got almost 8000 miles on our 97 Sportsman and 3700 miles on my 2001 and 11,000 on my 500 Ski-doo and the carbs have never been touched on the ATVs and except a odd cleaning not touched on ski-doo.
More like I,d be worried about the efi Brain Box having a bad day.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by TLC
Wrenching a carb? I got almost 8000 miles on our 97 Sportsman and 3700 miles on my 2001 and 11,000 on my 500 Ski-doo and the carbs have never been touched on the ATVs and except a odd cleaning not touched on ski-doo.
More like I,d be worried about the efi Brain Box having a bad day.
In short (changing the jests) There are thousands upon thousands of OHV's out there with EFI not to mention everything from boats to street bikes that have a "Brain box" that have NEVER been touched. Carb is fine for a cheap entry bike but in today's world EFI is better and will be on all bikes before long.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Love Efi on my car even a boat or street bike but they do not go through this type of stuff. Computers don,t belong in these conditions.
A efi ATV with a dead battery cant even be pull started or run.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new sport quad