Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Is This Oil OK To Use?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Oil OK To Use?

Racing 4T 10W-40 4-Cycle Motorcycle Oil (1 qt.) by Mobil1 - part# 98HC75

Valvoline/1 qt. SAE 10W-40 motorcycle oil (VV740) | | AutoZone.com

I have a 2009 Kingquad 450 and a 2006 Z400. Both call for Suzuki Performance 4 Oil I believe ( I may have the name wrong. ) Its a long drive to a dealer for me and I can get those oils locally quickly. I want to use the Mobil 1 in my kingquad I bought it brand new and its about to get its first oil change. The 2006 I bought used no Idea what other people put in it and I want to use the valvoline in that. Would these be ok? They both are JASO MA so they are good for the wet clutch. I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

All motorcycle grade synthetic oils are ment for wet clutches,even though your ATV has no wet clutches anyways. You should be OK. I,d use 0w-40 instead if you have colder weather.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was under the impression from other forums the kindquad needs the oil for the wet clutch? I am not saying you're wrong just confused and wanting to get educated Thanks for the help!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've had a few people that recommend the mobil 1 oil and its wet clutch compatible and thats written on the bottle. But I've also heard arguments on synthetic oil being bad for a wet clutch?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Not sure how a CVT belt drive ATV can have a wet clutch, but no matter if you getting motorcycle grade synthetic oil its will be made for wet clutches anyways. Never seen a motorbike without a wet clutch. Seen many CVT snowmobiles and ATVs without a wet clutch but I,m not familiar with Suzuki's set up.
I have heard the Yamahas CVT drive system with its "Constant tension" does have a wet clutch somehow,so its possible.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool thanks for the information. According to articles synthetic is fine in wet clutch unless someone can point me in another direction I think ill go that route.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Your manual is correct... the Suzuki system and the Yamaha systems have a "wet clutch". They are different systems than the CVT systems on Polaris and Can Am.

You WANT to use an oil that is JASO MA rated on a Suzuki ATV.

Both the oils in those links are JASO MA rated. You'll be fine. If you've got over 500 miles on the King (it's broken in) I would opt for the Mobil 1 synthetic.

EDIT: BTW, a nice (less expensive) alternative to the Mobil 1 T4 is the Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart for a decent price. It is also JASO MA rated... a LOT of guys with Kings run it... and love it.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
2 strokes or 4

Originally Posted by oliver_suz
I've had a few people that recommend the mobil 1 oil and its wet clutch compatible and thats written on the bottle. But I've also heard arguments on synthetic oil being bad for a wet clutch?
Now this is hearsay so take it for what it's worth. I also heard the synthetic is bad for wet clutch debate. All I use is synthetic ( reg. Oil and mix oil ), people were telling me that the full synthetic oil would act like energy conserving oil and make the clutch slip. I have never had a problem running full synthetic, and will always run it. To each their own in my book.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Its states right on the bottle of any synthetic motorcycle grade motor "Compatible with Wet Clutches"
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx

AMSOIL Formula 4-StrokeŽ PowerSports Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF) is specially formulated for four-stroke recreational motors, ATVs and snowmobiles. Reduces wear. Wet clutch compatible. Contains no friction modifiers. Broad viscosity range makes it excellent for use in both hot and cold weather conditions.

How can it be any simpler that that?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
2 strokes or 4

Probably gonna open a can of worms on this one. Also had the debate as far as synthetic being bad for break-in ( being too slick to let the rings set ). On my last rebuild after breaking in with full synthetic ( 2 stroke ) I am holding right at 200lbs. compression, I think thats not bad.

Search this Thread