You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!
I'm very much thinking it definitely needs valve adjustment. I just looked up some symptoms of tight and loose valves and some of them seem like it's my last problem hopefully to get this thing back to good running condition. Since I've had it I've put about 600 to 700 miles on it and have never had valves adjusted yet since I've owned it and I'm sure previous rider never did it either.
1. The idle is rough no matter what ways I tinker with the carburetor(sometimes it idles good; sometimes it idles crap)
2. Sometimes it's hard to start up and sometimes it's not
3. The cylinder and cylinder head get extremely hot maybe cause the valves are creating friction from being too tightly adjusted.
4. The engine vibrates and is very loud compared to when I first got it running with the new rings replacement.
5. Ticking noise near cylinder or cylinder head that started happening when this machine started randomly going to **** in early summer last year.
6. Loses power when slowing down and shifting gears and almost dies unless I keep some throttle on it then usually when I do come to a complete stop it will usually die.
7. Everytime it stalls it will backfire out back of carburetor.
Got a video on youtube of what this machine is doing now. I can't even get it to start anymore. I fully recharged the battery about a week ago so that ain't the problem. I've no idea so here you go and you can check out what it's doing. May not be best video or audio cause it was windy and I recorded on my blackberry.
Ok just checked the spark plug and it was solid black and wet after trying to start it. I moved the needle jet clip to the third position, and backed the pilot air screw out 2 turns. Still does same thing and just turns over and over and spews all that air and white smoke out of those breather tubes from crankcase. I'm done with this piece of **** and all it's problems that randomly happened at about the same time. WTF kind of atv craps out in electrical, engine, and carb at same time. My next step is to take it to a guy my uncle knows not too far from me and see what the diagnosis is about it and what he will charge to fix it. My guess is needs valve adjustment, engine work, and carb work! Just my luck. Too bad I couldn't just get my money back that I've put into this machine.
Hmmm, looked up symptoms yesterday on smoke and air comin from crankcase and most of the time its piston/ring related. Kinda makes since since it don't wanna start now and it didn't have much power when I was running it couple weeks ago. My guess is my rings aren't properly sealing the walls and some oil is leaking in and fouling my spark plugs. Or my piston has a hole in it or somethin?
I would look at all that myself but I don't have the tools and don't know how to look at all that stuff. I'd try to do my own valve adjustment but don't have service manual, nor feeler gauge. I've no idea how to do a leakdown test and I also don't have a compression tester. Also on these machines I was wandering if it was hard to just take cylinder head and cylinder off without taking whole engine off? Kind of a tight space.