Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 lt250r won't start

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 lt250r won't start

first of all i'm new here and i'd like to say hey and thank you for any advice that is to come. so my bike was runnin the other day and just wouldn't kick start again. it has spark. it's getting fuel b/c the plug is wet after a few kicks. i checked all the wires from the stator and they are all within specs. checked the ground on the ignition coil and it was clean. it doesn't even try to start when you are kicking it. never had a racing quad before so i don't know anything else to check just what i've read on here. so any help would be great b/c i'm out of ideas.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boogers86lt
first of all i'm new here and i'd like to say hey and thank you for any advice that is to come. so my bike was runnin the other day and just wouldn't kick start again. it has spark. it's getting fuel b/c the plug is wet after a few kicks. i checked all the wires from the stator and they are all within specs. checked the ground on the ignition coil and it was clean. it doesn't even try to start when you are kicking it. never had a racing quad before so i don't know anything else to check just what i've read on here. so any help would be great b/c i'm out of ideas.
Hi welcome to the forums! Sounds like your carb may be dirty or needs rebuilt. If the plug is soaked your float in the carb may be sticking open.

get a new plug, usually if you soak a plug its junk afterwards especially if its an NGK plug, they are kind of a pain if they get fuel soaked. but i am willing to bet the float is sticking open.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i pulled the carb the day after it stopped starting. it looks clean. the bowl had no trash in it and the bowl was full of gas. but i'll pull it out again and pull it completely apart and clean it good. and i ran a new plug and it makes no difference. so i'll clean the carb then put another new plug in. oh and i can i forgot to mention that i can pull start it with another bike and it will run as long as i stay on the throttle. it won't idle at all tho.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
2 strokes or 4

As stated above try cleaning the carb. pay close attention to the pilot jet. With what you are saying in your last post that's what I would do. After you get everything back together, kick it with full choke and NO throttle, it should start by the 3rd. kick.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by sdm111
As stated above try cleaning the carb. pay close attention to the pilot jet. With what you are saying in your last post that's what I would do. After you get everything back together, kick it with full choke and NO throttle, it should start by the 3rd. kick.
thank you. i will try to get it out tomorrow and clean it out. we are supposed to have some bad weather movin in so idk if i'll be able to. i hope so got a guy with a 400ex runnin his mouth and i want to shut him up.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
2 strokes or 4

When you're trying to start it over and over again with a clogged pilot jet or if the passages are clogged up and you're giving it alot of gas you're probably bypassing the pilot and dumping fuel into it via the needle jet and gas fouling the plug. And with it being a 2 stroke it's worse cause it's mixed. Everytime I work on my 2 stroke I always use a new plug also. A fouled plug can drive you crazy.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
2 strokes or 4

P.S. a 2stroke should start without giving it any gas when cold, just choke it.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

will do...i'm gonna pull it out tomorrow and clean it up. any suggestions on the best way to get it clean?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:25 PM
2 strokes or 4

Just spraying it down won't do. All the jets need to come out and I run a couple small strands of wire wrapped together through all the holes in the jets and where the jets screw into.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

k. well i cleaned both jets and put it back on...same thing. pulled it out again and cleaned it again...same thing lol. low compression? could that do it? the kick start can be pushed down with my hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86 lt250r won't start