Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230 shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt230 shifting issues

I have an 86' LT230 (clutchless with electric start). We went for a drive in the mountains and after running up and down a few hilly road tails my gears seemed to start to slip so I turned around and started heading back. Well we stopped for a breather and I couldnt get back in gear. I looked at the oil window and it was completely empty (I know it was full when we left). Well on my way home I stopped by the store and picked up a quart of motorcycle oil and dumped it in the case but it still will not go into gear (forward and reverse). Is my tranny screwed? If so is it rebuildable or should I just be looking for a used working one? Not sure what I need to do here but I'd like to get it working before the weather warms up so I figure I'd better start now.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnewph
I have an 86' LT230 (clutchless with electric start). We went for a drive in the mountains and after running up and down a few hilly road tails my gears seemed to start to slip so I turned around and started heading back. Well we stopped for a breather and I couldnt get back in gear. I looked at the oil window and it was completely empty (I know it was full when we left). Well on my way home I stopped by the store and picked up a quart of motorcycle oil and dumped it in the case but it still will not go into gear (forward and reverse). Is my tranny screwed? If so is it rebuildable or should I just be looking for a used working one? Not sure what I need to do here but I'd like to get it working before the weather warms up so I figure I'd better start now.
you may have just fried the clutch plates and the auto clutch assembly. the only way to tell how much damage was done is to remove the clutch cover and mag cover. and the split the cases, but pull the clutch cover first. post some pics and i'll tell you what i see and can better reccommend what to do. Basically for now , part wise, start looking for a clutch rebuild kit. it will contain your friction plates and a set of steel plates. make sure that you get the friction and the steel plates new because yours is fried. rebuilding the trans is a pain but totally doable. i built several S models trannys i should be able to guide you through yours if you post the pics and follow what i say. i can get a little confusing so if i confuse you just tell me. i'll try to get as detailed as i can. but i need to know is your 230 shaft drive or chain drive, high and low range trans or what type it is.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

you need to post a pic of your 230. if your avatar pic is what you have its not an 86. they didnt start making the 230E til 87. there should be a sticker with a month and year stamped in it. post that as well so i can track down the right trans info on my computer.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, the sticker on my frame says it was built in 10/86 and the pic on my avitar is the one. Ill pull the covers off this weekend and get some pics posted. Its chain driven and only 2 wheel drive (5 speed with reverse).

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, the sticker on my frame says it was built in 10/86 and the pic on my avitar is the one. Ill pull the covers off this weekend and get some pics posted. Its chain driven and only 2 wheel drive (5 speed with reverse).
ok its an 87 230E. Here is a tip any production model made after 6/86 is an 87. its a little confusing i know but Suzuki and other companies start the next year production in June. So if a 230 is made in June of 86 its next years model which makes it an 87.

So with yours being made in December 86 its actually an 87. this should help you find parts better. you'll need parts for a 1987 LT230EH. thats the year and model of your 230. now i can help you rebuild your trans if needed. Although i think its just your auto clutch thats fried. if the auto clutch is still engaged it will not let it shift into any gear. odds are if your oil stopped flowing in the clutch side the plates are fused together.

i have built a few 230e models and 19 230s models so i think i should have no problem helpin ya out. just have air-tools handy. alot of what may need to come off is torqued down pretty tight inside the clutch cover.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took some pics could you private message me your email address so I can send them to you? I dont have any place to post them so I could upload the link here.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually I found I can create an album under my profile here so I uploaded them there.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Actually I found I can create an album under my profile here so I uploaded them there.
really cant see anything too wrong. it may just be you auto clutch is fried.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is there a way to check if its fried before I go and replace it? While looking around for a clutch rebuild kit I came across some clutches on eBay (used but in working condition) for fairly cheap prices. I know its generally better to buy new but whats the real downside to buying a used but working auto clutch?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Range Rover

hey guys not trying to thread jack or anything but got a question for trailrider. i had to split my case to clean up a broken piston skirt. when i split the case some things fell out but i ut it all back together and it seemed to all fit back nicely. well now i got the case sealed again and im trying to go through the gears before mounting the engine and re assembling the top end. however it will not shift at all now. i noticed that when im shifting the cam driven gear on the side of the case just stops and wont move. its number 8 in the diagram: Rivamotorsports.com's 1985 Suzuki ATV LT-230GEF QUADRUNNER Parts List

im also a little unsure about how the mechanism on the side of the cover works also.(the piece that the shifter shaft is connected too when the cover is in place. So should i re split my case and then try to go through the gears or what could this possibly be?

Quick Reply: lt230 shifting issues