Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 quad sport starting and running issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 quad sport starting and running issues

I just picked this classic up off a kid who was tired of dealing with it. The problem is very hard starting, he thought it was the valves. got it home and cleaned out the carb, replaced plug, figured i would start the the easy stuff first. seemed like it wanted to fire as long as no fuel was being applied. finally turned over but would not idle. Got started again was getting really tired of kicking,it fired up, giving it gas was missing like crazy not winding up like it should, turned light switch on to see if headlight worked bike started backfiring and really missing till it stalled with me using the gas. Would the cdi box be the cause of the problem or is it something electrical? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bonko
I just picked this classic up off a kid who was tired of dealing with it. The problem is very hard starting, he thought it was the valves. got it home and cleaned out the carb, replaced plug, figured i would start the the easy stuff first. seemed like it wanted to fire as long as no fuel was being applied. finally turned over but would not idle. Got started again was getting really tired of kicking,it fired up, giving it gas was missing like crazy not winding up like it should, turned light switch on to see if headlight worked bike started backfiring and really missing till it stalled with me using the gas. Would the cdi box be the cause of the problem or is it something electrical? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!
sounds like carb and CDI problems. check the wires for bare spots. it could have shorted the CDI unit out. if you need a CDI, i have one and it works, its my back up CDI and i dont think i'll ever need it. i know they are expensive on ebay and i can make you a better deal. i also have a good working carb too. let me know if you want them.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks got all the plastics and gas tank off ran out of time yesterday, will check wires either today or tomorrow. did find where key was someone installed a toggle switch that the wires were broke on but that dident seem to matter after the fix. how much you lookin for the cdi box and carb Trailrider230s?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bonko
thanks got all the plastics and gas tank off ran out of time yesterday, will check wires either today or tomorrow. did find where key was someone installed a toggle switch that the wires were broke on but that dident seem to matter after the fix. how much you lookin for the cdi box and carb Trailrider230s?
well CDI boxes are running about $100 +, so i figure i'll let mine go for $60 and the carb is tricky. it needs the choke lever put on it. i had to pull the lever off that one to fix my alky carb thats currently on my 230. if you have the choke lever on your old carb , i'll let you have it for $25. i'm knocking off almost 50% of what it would cost on ebay for the CDI and the carb is just an extra part driving my wife nuts because i have too many parts.

CDI= $60
Carb=$25

bout $85 shipped free to you. and also i will include the voltage regulator with it and the carb will have the throttle cable and slide with it also. i prefer to sell the electronic pieces as a set because i know they all work together.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

just private message your address, dont post it in the open forum. i posted my address in another forum website now i get tons of junk mail.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

got the parts, thanks , but it didnet make a difference, still backfires when lights are turned on shuts off when light is unpluged and is hard as heck to start. wireing looks good