Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Before I start motor (new Rebuild)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I start motor (new Rebuild)?

I'm just about done with the rebuild as you can see in my profile, But wanted to know if I should put a little oil in the top of the valve cover to lubracate the cylinder head before starting just to make sure. Metal to metal is not the best thing in my book running at a high rate of speed. Any other tips would be great thanks.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by point29
I'm just about done with the rebuild as you can see in my profile, But wanted to know if I should put a little oil in the top of the valve cover to lubracate the cylinder head before starting just to make sure. Metal to metal is not the best thing in my book running at a high rate of speed. Any other tips would be great thanks.
leave the kill switch off and roll the engine over 4 or 5 times and make sure the gas is off and the carb bowl is empty. and yes fill the cam section with oil too, that helps with the oil priming in the engine, but dont over fill it. then fire it up and let it idle for about 5 minutes til its warm and then shut it off and recheck the oil level. fill or remove oil as needed, and make sure you dont go full bore once the engine is running. take it easy for about 4-6 hours on a new build. if its allowed to wear in properly it will last a long time.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Assembly lube is your friend

depending on who you talk to you should either take it easy to break in the engine or go full throttle to get the maximum cylinder pressure to seat the rings

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Originally Posted by Phil Trill
Assembly lube is your friend

depending on who you talk to you should either take it easy to break in the engine or go full throttle to get the maximum cylinder pressure to seat the rings
What he said. There should be assembly lube from the get go.