Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt80 bogging and black plug after carb clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 bogging and black plug after carb clean

HEEELLLP, I have just cleaned the carb on my kids lt80 and nit is now really playing up it was running fine before except it was hard to start and wouldn't idle, i done a comp test which is a little low at 100 psi but other than the starting and idle was running great, anyway after reading various threads i desided to give the carb a clean and now it starts and idles but thats it, as soon as you give it gas it boggs and smells really bad of gas, i took the plug out and was BLACK any help please

Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also how do i know if there is to much oil or not enough being mixed with the fuel?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Take the carb back off and re-inspect. Maybe the o-ring got misplaced.

If your still using the oil injection, there is no way to adjust the oil flow. It's never been a problem (too much oil).

Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks lt80 i have taken the carb back off and boiled it, i have also ordered a rebuild kit so am waiting for that to arrive and will try again, as a second thought can you reuse the o-rings or are they a single use item?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Your very welcome.
The o-ring I'm refering to goes in the insulator (black plastic thing). Yes, it's re-used unless it got squeezed/out of shape/etc.
I use grease to hold it in place.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

that makes sense the o-ring got came loose when i was putting the carb back on and i thought i'd caught it before any damage was caused, maybe not.
Thanks again,i will post back with, i hope, a good result when i get it back on and i will use the grease this time.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi back again, got new rebuild kit and spark plug today so went to put it all together and thought "How tight do the jets need to be"? is it just finger tight or as tight as i can get them?
I've looked in the manual and can't find an answer,

Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

"tight as i can get them?"
Sounds like something my boy asks just before he snaps the head off a bolt..LOL
They need to be tight.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

yer i know what you mean mine are the same dont know where they get it from i thought i,d better ask as i,ve never been any good with carbs

Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now i really am confused i've tightened everything(not over tight), rebuilt carb from the manual, and made sure it has a seal i've fitted a new spark plug and am waiting on a new air filter (so obviously not yet fitted) and now the bleeping thing wont even start i've taken the air filter pipe off because of the gammy filter which does make a difference and you can hear it trying but with the choke ON is hopeless, any suggestions i dont want to get someone in if i can help it i'd like to know what's going on so i can fix if and when but coming to the end of it now,

Quick Reply: lt80 bogging and black plug after carb clean