Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1998 suzuki ltf500 4x4 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1998 suzuki ltf500 4x4 wont start

hey there guys just found this cool site and im having a problem with my suzuki quad its a 98 ltf500f 4x4 the guy i got it from hadnt ran it for some time the tank was dirty so i im pretty sure the carb was so i cleaned tank completly got a carb kit and clean it up and installed that now it wont start it will run as long as i hold the starter button in( it will rev up) but when i leave off the starter button it stalls i have checked and rechecked the carb dont think it is that.last thing i did to night was take the air cleaner side tube off and the slide dosent move up and down but it is free and when i run the throttle it moves if that helps any thanks again: Tony

Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

have you ever thought of the fuel pump one way to check it is take the line off the carb and try turning it over and see if gas comes out if none you might want to check in on a fuel pump rebuild kit or replace it

Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

From what i can see is that the fuel line comes from the tank straight to the carb

Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

i guess maybe i dont understand the fuel pump thing ;someone else said it is in the fuel shut off, blocked the carb side and the tank line and put fuel shut off on prime still no start

Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

ya there is a fuel bump on every four wheeler or snow mobile have you tried by taking the fuel line off the carb and cranking it and see if the fuel come out of the line have you tried using starting fluid or putting gas in a spray bottle and spray it in the carb well cranking it to see if it will fire then that will narrow it down what it could be

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are incorrect, atvkiller, very few ATVs have a fuel pump, most run gravity feed from the tank to the carb, some use engine vacuum, like the Suzukis, to pull gas to the carb, but have no pump. Only ATVs with tanks under the seat or lower than the carb require a pump. On your Suzuki, is there a "prime" and "run" setting on the petcock, with no "OFF" position? In run, it uses engine vac. to pull fuel, and will not flow without the engine running, prime is to fill the carb without having to crank the engine over, you can leave it in prime and pull the hose to check for flow to the carb. If the tank was dirty, I would put a fuel filter in line to the carb, pull the carb and make sure it is clean, the pilot jet is very tiny, if that is even partly plugged, it may not run, or run very poorly. When you cleaned the tank, did you remove and clean out the petcock? if that has dirt or rust in it, it may be restrictig flow to carb, causing running problems

Last edited by 95wolv; 04-19-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added to post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 95wolv
You are incorrect, atvkiller, very few ATVs have a fuel pump, most run gravity feed from the tank to the carb, some use engine vacuum, like the Suzukis, to pull gas to the carb, but have no pump. Only ATVs with tanks under the seat or lower than the carb require a pump. On your Suzuki, is there a "prime" and "run" setting on the petcock, with no "OFF" position? In run, it uses engine vac. to pull fuel, and will not flow without the engine running, prime is to fill the carb without having to crank the engine over, you can leave it in prime and pull the hose to check for flow to the carb. If the tank was dirty, I would put a fuel filter in line to the carb, pull the carb and make sure it is clean, the pilot jet is very tiny, if that is even partly plugged, it may not run, or run very poorly. When you cleaned the tank, did you remove and clean out the petcock? if that has dirt or rust in it, it may be restrictig flow to carb, causing running problems
The device that uses vacuum to "pull" fuel from the tank to the carburetor is known as...... a fuel pump. The first generation King Quads had them, and the tank was well above the carburetor. Also, engine vacuum is used to turn on the fuel petcock.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not true, I have owned Suzukis, an LT80 was one of them, it had run and prime settings, and used engine vacuum to pull fuel,it would not flow in "run" unless motor was running, NO FUEL PUMP........

Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 95wolv
not true, I have owned Suzukis, an LT80 was one of them, it had run and prime settings, and used engine vacuum to pull fuel,it would not flow in "run" unless motor was running, NO FUEL PUMP........
Well, according to my Clymer repair manual, on page 290, they do use a fuel pump. But, I suppose you know more about it than they do.....

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1989 suzuki quadrunner 300 will not start checked compression ok checked spark ok has gas in tank please help

Quick Reply: 1998 suzuki ltf500 4x4 wont start