Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230s timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt230s timing chain replacement

got a rattel from my timing chain, adjuster doesnt seem to be gettin rid of the noise so im fixin to open it up and take a look....what all needs to be taken off internally to replace a chain? any special tools needed? thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dakbee
got a rattel from my timing chain, adjuster doesnt seem to be gettin rid of the noise so im fixin to open it up and take a look....what all needs to be taken off internally to replace a chain? any special tools needed? thanks
if all you want to do is replace the chain...heres what i would do,

take the top cover off, take the chain tensioner out, take out the camshaft, then turn the chain until you find the master link, take it apart, hook the new chain to the old, then either turn the motor over until you can disconnect the old chain, or just let the chain fall down into the bottom some(so that it falls from the bottom sprocket) and rotate it until the link where the old chain and the new chain connect comes around to th4e top...then you can hook the ends of the new chain together...and wa-la, presto-chango...

if thats to confusing, i can try to explain it differently

Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

hmmmm, ok.....i plan on taking the side cover off to inspect the guides, would i still need to remove the cam if i did it that way? i have a manual but doesnt go into much detail wtih the timing chain......local cycle shop said that i would have to remove the cam and flywheel... do all chains have a masterlink?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Range Rover

hmmmm, ok.....i plan on taking the side cover off to inspect the guides, would i still need to remove the cam if i did it that way? i have a manual but doesnt go into much detail wtih the timing chain......local cycle shop said that i would have to remove the cam and flywheel... do all chains have a masterlink?
your gonna have to remove the cam anyway, but its not hard to do. once the tensioner is out there is enough play in the chain to just slide the cam out of place.

you dont have to remove the flywheel, or even open the bottom if you hook the two chains together. but i can see why you want to open it...

yes every chain should have a master link in it.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey the timing chain doesnt have a master link on a 230. once the chain is strecthed its toast. car timing chains dont. a master link would make the chain to weak. of all the timing chains i have changed on 230s' i have never saw one with a master link.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Alrighty, I havent opened it up yet, u got any tips for me? My manual isnt too specific with this area

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alrighty, I havent opened it up yet, u got any tips for me? My manual isnt too specific with this area
buy another mag cover gasket and a tube of high temp rtv, so when its time to reseal you'll be set. all you gotta do is work the old timing chain around the fly wheel and pull it off. when you put the new one on, just run a piece of string or mono fishing line down through the jug and work the new one on. it sucks not removing the flywheel but it can be done.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

finally getting around to this, took it all apart last week. got the parts in the other day. but i forgot which way was up on the cam. does it matter since it fires on intake and exhaust?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

UGH!!! twisted my new timing chain trying to get it squeezed behind the flywheel :/

when my next one comes in im gonna take it to the shop and have em take of the flywheel and slip the chain in...........

Old 12-30-2020, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lt230e they have a spring loaded cam chain teninsor... Its really easy to adjust but has to be done a specific way .... You may of not needed to do all that bud .... My 92 was rattling like hell i reset the tensioner its quite as a lamb now